Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Struggling with treatment, looking for advice
Struggling with treatment, looking for advice
I understand that CPAP therapy takes a long time to get used to. It will likely take me longer than most. People keep saying that consistency is key, you must use it every day. I have some questions around consistency. 

1. Is it better to wear the mask all night even if I’m not sleeping, or wear it for only a short while and then take it off and sleep without it? My clinicians have said the latter is better so that I am not associating being upset/insomniac with CPAP treatment, but I am beginning to doubt there is any benefit to that, particularly because of my next point. 
2. Even when I just wear the mask for a little while and then take it off, it often takes me hours to feel like I can breathe again. The other day I was completely unsuccessful and ended up having a panic attack feeling like I’d forgotten how to breathe. I did not fall asleep until I went to the clinic and got a sedative the following afternoon and I spent that entire time gasping for breath and feeling like my heart wasn’t quite right. I want to be clear, panic attacks and extreme anxiety are not normal for me in any context other than CPAP therapy. The sensation of having perpetually inflated lungs apparently really bothers my brain. 

So my point is, if I’m going to be barely sleeping and reliant on sedative medication whether I keep the mask on or not, wouldn’t it be better to just keep it on? And how do I deal with this panic associated with having perpetually inflated lungs? I have some skills I developed for dealing with flashbacks (deep breathing, grounding techniques, bilateral stimulation, distraction, etc) but they are not working. 

Preemptively addressing some suggestions:
- I do put the mask on to watch TV and stuff. I can tolerate this better than sleeping with it but I do still end up with heart palpitations sometimes just from that, and sometimes that does last hours after I take it off too. 
- I have tried various mask styles and determined that the one that works best for me is a nasal cushion. I don’t feel particularly claustrophobic about it anymore. 
- I have played with ramp, EPR, and humidity, although I will revisit those now that my machine is no longer faulty. Ramp made me feel like I was breathing through a straw, and EPR made me feel like I was being forced into a particular breathing rhythm. 
- I am working on talking to a sleep doctor but I need a new referral to a new doctor as my referral has expired and my old doctor was disrespectful to me anyway. I don’t have a family doctor either and I’m moving soon so it’s a whole thing. 
- I can’t afford psychotherapy unfortunately. I did it for years under a charity program so I genuinely do have a lot of distress tolerance skills but CPAP feels different somehow.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Struggling with treatment, looking for advice
To truly help we need to see data. Please read the links in my signature “Download OSCAR” and “Formatting OSCAR Charts”. Once we have some charts we can offer advise on proper settings to help.

It sounds like you are trying to find what works, but without a baseline to start from you are hoping to find the right combination by guessing. Personally, I do not like guessing when it comes to helping someone find what works.

I suggest starting with a good basic setting. Something like:

Mode APAP
Min pressure 7
Max pressure 15
EPR 2 full-time
No ramp

Once you have a few nights, post some charts. There are many people here who can help fine-tune the settings from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Struggling with treatment, looking for advice
Okay, I will download Oscar. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Central Apnea - Treatment Emergent vs Altitude ausername 4 131 5 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] New issues after 4 years of treatment Compton2233 4 160 Today, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Compton2233
  [Treatment] New user struggling to wake up refreshed THEVGE 15 1,342 10-15-2024, 04:34 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  Struggling to Lower AHI Below 5 terumi 42 1,508 10-14-2024, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  air sounds like its struggling Jstalez 0 124 10-11-2024, 01:38 AM
Last Post: Jstalez
  ac123 Treatment Thoughts/Help ac123 21 1,360 10-07-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: ac123
  treatment-emergent central apnea? CyberSparrow 2 240 10-06-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: CyberSparrow

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.