Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Two Questions - Flow Rate is UARS
Two Questions - Flow Rate is UARS
Hi, I read in another thread from some time back that what I am seeing in my flow rate graph is indicative of UARS, can anyone confirm? And if so, is there anything I can do about it? I feel that my nostrils collapse when I sleep to some extent and as a natural nose breather have found that nose pillows really improve my sleep, but I still have this pattern.

And the other question is a bit weird, but I will ask anyway. I have found since starting CPAP that my, ahem, "old fella" seems to be behaving a lot more like it used to, dramatically so. Is there a reason for this? Anyone understand what's happening there? Maybe my testosterone levels have increased?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Two Questions - Flow Rate is UARS
What I see in the snippet posted is a flow limited inspiration. I would have to see far more data to consider UARS as a potential problem.

As far as “little Dodies” newfound energy goes, I have no idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dodies, we can't tell much from a 1 minute 42 second zoom of a waveform chart Smile Please post a full screenshot (f12 in daily tab).
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah sorry guys, I thought that you needed to see the shape as I read that the "rounded top" to each breath is indicative UARS, is it not? 

How much data is needed? 

I will post 3 more - but let me know how much is needed.

Post Reply Post Reply
One more from last night.

Yes, aware of the leaking, it normally has not been a problem since very recently, I think I have a leak from my mouth, its like air is being pushed out of my mouth rather than actually exhaling.. Ive woken up from it before, its a weird sensation, but doesn't happen too often.

Also, all those CA's present in the first 30 minutes, I was 100% awake for those, I really don't understand why that happens. My SPo2 levels drop a lot when I'm laying in bed to fall asleep, i have the oximiter on and its alarm is constantly going off informing that O2 levels have dipped below 90%. Wish I knew why that happens. But over the entire night I got an average of 94%.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dodies, welcome

What is your sleep study prescribed pressure?

The symptom you describe of air in mouth sound like squirrel cheeks or mouth puffing.
I have read on line that this is related to obstructive sleep apnea. The air cant exhaust fast enough nasally.

Mouth breathing is a problem, CO2 is exhaled faster than required causing imalances between O2/CO2 leading to inefficient oxygen absorption from blood hemoglobin to tissue cells, so that is not good.
When you are first on the CPAP, just laying down to sleep, you can see higher flow rate on your chart. Those larger breaths are reducing CO2 levels, which will cause a pause in breathing, while awake or asleep.
Your breathing is probably not ready for sleep !?
Try some light breathing exercises, 10 - 15 min before going to bed.

Also, without fixing the leaks ( which includes mask AND mouth breathing, so if you think you have no mask leaks, your leaks are ALL mouth breathing.

So you will need to keep higher CPAP pressures, which in my experience causes fighting with more mask leaks, and the CO2 exhalation issue above.

Getting to NO LEAKS, no mouth breathing (all day!) will allow lower CPAP pressures for a longer period of time during treatment.

With CPAP AUTO, that allows a setting range that should satisfy most OA and CA etc. events.

The EPR is the tricky one i think, and there is literature on this WIKI site as well, that shows how some people ( myself included) do better WITHOUT EPR .

For sure there are tradeoffs depending on your tolerance for pressure during exhale and flow limiting, but if i can do without EPR i dont use it.
Oh, and keep forgetting to mention this, especially on some other posts i have commented on...
If your sleep study prescription is 7 cm to keep OA events away, make sure your min. pressure is at least 8 to 10 cm, depending on EPR level!
If you use 8 cm min. pressure and EPR=3 , you will have a 5 cm min pressure during exhale which is below your sleep study prescription of 7 cm !

I have an idea what i would suggest for you,
Let me know if you would like to hear.

The others here have far more experience than me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leak Rate Questions in OCAR MrPsyduck 5 272 09-10-2024, 05:25 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Potential UARS BiPAP Advice gce799 6 588 09-09-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: gce799
  Flat-topped flow rate slatejetpack 8 322 09-09-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: slatejetpack
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 30 4,678 09-08-2024, 01:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Leak rate question weepingwillow 32 1,314 09-08-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: weepingwillow
  Nose congestion and UARS Jstalez 14 797 09-08-2024, 07:07 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Erratic flow rate preceding OA weepingwillow 3 212 09-06-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Old Steve

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.