Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Version 1.5.2 Problems
RE: Version 1.5.2 Problems
how to change the date range.....eg max today rather than 2036!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2024, 12:52 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Also, many will attempt to place the data directory in the cloud so they can access it from different computers.  The problem with this idea is network communication latency and OSCAR not being designed to handle this.
- Red

So are you saying it is not possible to do this? My Windows desktop computer is DOA this morning after rebooting last night for the latest Windows 11 update. I hope it is just the power supply, but no matter what, I'm going to be stuck without it for at least a few days. 

I was hoping to use my laptop in the meantime, for whatever days or weeks it takes to get the PC fixed or replaced. My idea was to install Oscar on the laptop, and put the data directory in OneDrive, which is how I share anything I need between computers - then when and if the PC is fixed, have it use that directory as well. 

This morning has been a nightmare of trying to get the laptop to access everything - the PC only has USB-A ports, the laptop only has USB-C ports, so I had to scramble for an adapter for the O2Ring cable. Then I couldn't read the SD card with my old external card reader (got an invalid file format error - ??), so I had to boot up another ancient PC that has a built-in SD card reader and use that to read the card data, only to realize I still had an issue getting the data to the laptop and that PC isn't connected to our home network. File is too big to zip and mail. Then realized I could unplug the external hard drive from the dead computer, stick it in the ancient computer, copy the SD card data to it, then use a USB-C adapter to transfer the data to the laptop. Got O2 Insight Pro installed and working, then tried installing Oscar using a folder on OneDrive. I -thought- I had selected that, and got a message about cloud storage and locked profiles - but it sounded like it would work as long as I wasn't trying to use that profile on both computers at the same time. Everything seemed to install ok, but then it turned out that the data file got created in the laptop's Documents directory after all. Not sure if I selected something incorrectly during install (but then why would I get the message about cloud storage?), or if the program ignored what I selected.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have any internet hesitancy, it can cause all sorts of problems.  OSCAR was not designed to handle communication interruptions.  You can roll the dice, but at some point, it will bite you.  The best thing to do is use a local directory and then back that directory up to your OneDrive or use a backup service.  Because of my experiences, I personally use a local NAS (Network Attached Storage) and a cloud backup service (IDrive).
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, thanks. I'll have to think about how to work with this for now. I'll probably run out and buy a new card reader and see if that gets me anywhere - if it works, then at least I'm reasonably set with the laptop until the PC issue gets resolved. I do have another card reader, but it's for my iPhone, and although we have nearly every adapter under the sun, lightning to USB-C is not one of them. (Yet I still have a PS/2 adapter so I can use my magnificent 35-year-old IBM Model M keyboard, complete with key stickers for WordPerfect shortcuts. You will have to pry that from my cold dead hands.)

I have a portable SSD that I use for backups as well as using iDrive. Because you can never be too backed up, right? Actually, both my husband and I back up to the SSD since there's enough storage on it for our critical stuff (documents, not photos), and that way in an emergency we can just grab it and go without worrying about the computers - so we're pretty much using it as an NAS. He doesn't back up to the cloud, though, so maybe we should consider getting an NAS so we can at least have everything backed up somewhere locally.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information New SEFAM Analyize software version 3.2.0 SuperSleeper 5 2,362 10-06-2024, 06:24 AM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Version 1.4 morningstar 0 188 09-02-2024, 02:26 PM
Last Post: morningstar
  OSCAR -revert to previous version munthike 1 321 08-11-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: munthike
  OSCAR Problems on a Mac daBee 5 434 07-11-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: daBee
  GMT+1 problems bassy 7 716 06-09-2024, 04:58 AM
Last Post: Hmm888
  OSCAR and Font Problems cpapuser20 5 487 05-27-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  Deleting old OSCAR version Poolboy 7 634 05-15-2024, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.