Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Titrating ASV with low AHI
Titrating ASV with low AHI
I've been using the ASV for a year+ now. I'm on low pressure settings (5.0 min EPAP, 6.0 PS, 15.0 max IPAP)OSCAR says I have very low AHI (<0.5), but I still often feel very sleepy

My daytime sleepiness is also highly volatile, so hard to notice minor improvements. If my AHI is very low, how should I titrate my ASV?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Titrating ASV with low AHI
Some numbers are missing in your ASV setup. There's either 1 or 2 EPAP, 2 PS numbers, and 2 IPAP numbers. And what mode is this?

PS 6 to start will be pretty high, if that's what that means.

Let's see your recent OSCAR chart with Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Leaks. Don't zoom in on the chart just yet either.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! Attaching some images and adding details on my ASV settings.

Mode: ASVAuto
Min EPAP: 4.00 cmH2O
Max EPAP: 5.00 cmH2O
Min IPAP: 4.00 cmH2O
Max IPAP: 11.00 cmH2O
PS Min: 0.00 cmH2O
PS Max: 6.00 cmH2O

Note also that I've turned off ramp, as of last night. I've seen that recommendation on a few threads.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
First off, note the edit I'll suggest isn't to address events or chart numbers directly but the implied not feeling good for the therapy comment.

I would try 2 things, an edit for EPAP, and another for PS. You can do this as slowly as you want, but I'm thinking both EPAP and PS ranges to be a bit low. We're not going to Max anything out, but add a bit to both.

On EPAP, try Min 5 max 7 or 8. Later, maybe you might want Min 6, with an accompanying max about 3 higher.

PS, I would make Min PS 2 or 3, while Max can stay at 6 or go up slightly.

We're not after zero AHI or individual event types. Again my suggested edits are to address making therapy feel like it's helping you sleep more comfortably.

EPAP increase may help give you a base amount of air. Try the edit and if you don't like it for whatever reason, turn it back down.

A higher than zero PS Min will help exhalation because there's always going to be a differential between EPAP and IPAP. Right now PS Min 0 sometimes takes that differential away. This is probably the first edit, get PS 0 up to about 2 or 3. Then try the EPAP increase.

And keep an eye on your leaks. They're not terrible just yet, but increasing pressures may make it worse. And with ASV, leaks higher than your current will hinder the therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  acquired an aircurve vauto 10/self titrating eok361 9 372 09-26-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: eok361
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 912 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  Help with self-titrating BiPAP for UARS - low % of spontaneously triggered breaths? Bibbbooker 21 1,723 01-29-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA BoxcarPete 21 2,003 11-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Importance of flow limits when titrating ASV raylock1 13 1,970 04-22-2023, 09:26 AM
Last Post: raylock1
  Self-titrating BiPAP for OSA/UARS w/ hypermobility ktopspin888m 3 1,066 03-29-2023, 08:10 AM
  Help titrating new BiPap - problem with Central Apneas kettle101 7 1,147 03-12-2023, 09:27 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.