Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is an "acceptable" Large Leak percent?
What is an "acceptable" Large Leak percent?
I've been hovering between 3-10% a night for some time (sometimes as high as 15% but almost never higher). AHI score is almost always below 1, sometime as high as 2.5 but virtually never higher. Is this a good place to be? I know lower better, but is this really an issue or good enough to be happy and forget it it? Not really sure what I could do to improve it anyway. I suspect it's simply a matter of my nasal mask shifting as I move from side to side on the pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is an "acceptable" Large Leak percent?
I usually try to target 95% leak rate of 0.00 - one thing to keep in mind is these leaks are likely causing arousals or micro-awakenings which are bad because they fragment your sleep. Given that the percentage of leak is that high makes it unlikely it's coming from your mask. It's probably the pressure blowing your mouth open at night which mouth tape, chin strap, etc would solve.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not yet familiar with the current 11 series ResMed, but large leak is likely still identified as over 24 L/Min. With what you're indicating, you're likely OK.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2023, 09:40 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'm not yet familiar with the current 11 series ResMed, but large leak is likely still identified as over 24 L/Min. With what you're indicating, you're likely OK.

Correct on 24.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2023, 09:40 AM)gainerfull Wrote: I usually try to target 95% leak rate of 0.00 - one thing to keep in mind is these leaks are likely causing arousals or micro-awakenings which are bad because they fragment your sleep. Given that the percentage of leak is that high makes it unlikely it's coming from your mask. It's probably the pressure blowing your mouth open at night which mouth tape, chin strap, etc would solve.

Assuming you may have the cause nailed down, would the course of action be to experiment with slightly lower pressure and see what happens?
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW my last 2 therapy machines were a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV and ST-A, and my max leaks were about 10-12 L/Min. My max IPAP was 25 cmH2O. Mask was an F&P Vitera.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2023, 09:50 AM)BlueSky1958 Wrote: Assuming you may have the cause nailed down, would the course of action be to experiment with slightly lower pressure and see what happens?

No, the pressure is where it is presumably to keep your airway open while you're sleeping. Your options to control your leaks are essentially different options at preventing your mouth from opening at night. This includes taping your mouth shut w/ cloth medical tape and breathing exclusively through your nose, wearing a chinstrap tight enough to keep your mouth closed, wearing a soft cervical collar or all three.

Another option is switching to a full face mask that is comfortable for you. I'm not talking about the hybrid ones either - I'd recommend an resmed f20.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2023, 09:40 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'm not yet familiar with the current 11 series ResMed, but large leak is likely still identified as over 24 L/Min. With what you're indicating, you're likely OK.

I'm curious - what dooes the "L" stand for in "L/Min"? It can't be liters, can it? 24 liters in one miniute sounds like a very large leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, L is liters. Like a 24L soda bottle.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2023, 09:45 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Yes, L is liters. Like a 24L soda bottle.

OK, but a liter is just over a quart. That makes 24 liters just over six gallons. A soda bottle might be 24 oz., not 24 liters. Over six gallons every minute all night long seems like an awful lot of leakage.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leak Rate Questions in OCAR MrPsyduck 5 250 09-10-2024, 05:25 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Leak rate question weepingwillow 32 1,264 09-08-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: weepingwillow
  Large Leak/UA Events since titration RainyDog 8 203 09-05-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Lots of flow limitations but good leak rate (restarting CPAP after 2 years off) sleepy331 10 536 08-14-2024, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cheyne Stokes - Mask/Leak Related? mark.apnea 4 286 08-12-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Why so many large leaks? Pogo007 3 319 08-12-2024, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Pogo007
  [CPAP] Should I focus on fixing leak, pressure, mask fit? costis 3 333 08-11-2024, 03:44 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.