Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask noises are making me crazy
Gross 
Mask noises are making me crazy
I’m of age and have been a back sleeper my whole life. I’ve been using ASV pap machines since 2012 after being diagnosed with primary central apnea.  I’ve written to the forum several times over the years on various subjects and the responses I received have helped me out a lot. 

During my Pap years, I’ve been using a quattro air full face mask (I’m a mouth breather) with a quattro air fit 10 medium size cushion and a cloth liner.

Starting this year, August 21 actually, mask farts have started and I cannot figure out why. The cushion, frame and headstraps are all new, as of the end of July. I’ve tried strap adjustments, repositioning the cushion on my nose, new cloth liners every night and nothing seems to help. One night, mask farts started at 2:30 am and I just took off all the headgear and tried to sleep without it. 

Due to nasal congestion over the past few months, on May 1st, I saw an allergist and then an ENT a couple of times in August. I don’t know if this could be the cause of the mask farts problem or not.  I’ve also started experiencing ‘jaw drop’ a few nights. 

Would anyone have any ideas for me?

Thank you so much for your time.
Dreamless
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask noises are making me crazy
Maybe the doctors advised an over the counter allergy pill, such as Allegra.? I use it more at the beginning of summer, and occasionally during the rest of summer. It seems to me that pap machines and allergies fight each other, so the pill helps. Otherwise, have you tried adjusting your pressures down a little. Sometimes a little experimentation with different pressures might just be the answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great points by Rich.  If you are experiencing jaw drop (you have a medium size mask), the mask my be too small to accommodate the jaw drop.  Some suppliers here give a 30 money back trial on new masks.  I think #1 does.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for your replies. 

•  Rich66 -  I haven't tried an allergy pill, OTC or otherwise. I did drop my PS max down a bit and the mask farts are definitely not as bad as they were prior to doing that. I have central apnea and don't want to change pressures too much and cause an up tick of those.

•  Jay51 - I will look into a different mask. I tried a larger size of the one I'm using several years ago and apparently it was too big and I had humongous leaks. My DME provider said I was on the cusp between large and medium and I've been using a medium for the last 10 years. 

Thank you again for your time.
Dreamless
Post Reply Post Reply
Although I am relatively new with my CPAP therapy, I can relate to your situation as I experienced the same problem during my trial period.  Working with my supplier, I was able to try a variety of mask shapes and models, finally settling on the F&K Evora Full Face mask.  I initially tried the medium size pillow and had frequent pressure leakage that would wake me as it does you, but I found the style generally comfortable than others I had tried.

I then switched the Evora large pillow and found it to be much less prone to leakage.

I too experience jaw drop in my sleep, so the large size pillow somewhat compensates for some jaw movement, at least.

My pressures are variable, so if I have significant jaw drop and require higher pressure, I will get some leakage, but a lot less than with other mask options.  I hope with time and habituation, my jaw drop will lessen. 

I would have liked to try the Philips Dreamware, but it appears to be unavailable at this time from my supplier.  I like the Dreamware concept, especially with the hose connection on top of the head, and hope to give it a try one day.

As has been mentioned, you may want to consider trying a large pillow to compensate for jaw movement, which has helped me.

Stephen 
Post Reply Post Reply
Stephen,

Thank you for all that information. The F&P mask you use, are you able to disconnect the hose from the mask without taking the mask off completely? From what I’ve read somewhere else, the F&P mask is supposed to be good for jaw drop although I am not aware of the particular model off the top of my head.  

Dreamless
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2023, 12:54 PM)Dreamless Wrote: ...F&P mask you use, are you able to disconnect the hose from the mask without taking the mask off completely?.....

Yes, because you can disconnect either the tube from the pillow (maybe called the frame?) with a snap, or the tube from the CPAP machine tube, with a simple snap and pull.  The head gear is secured with clips, rather than magnets, FYI.

I might suggest you purchase the "fit pack" that includes all three sizes of pillow, so you can determine which works best for you.

In view of your need, if you can try the Dreamware, which I have not had the opportunity to try, yet, I think you would have a good comparison to make a decision.

Have a look at the F&P website for detailed info, diagrams and videos of the Evora Full face Mask.

Perhaps others can suggest other options.

Stephen
Post Reply Post Reply
Stephen,

Thank you again. I’ll look into the masks on their website.  Thanks

Dreamless.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  p10 for Airmini - crazy expensive Dodies 5 180 09-26-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: cyberfiche
  [Treatment] Making my own settings Lady Knitsalot 19 743 09-06-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Lady Knitsalot
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 590 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [CPAP] Need help, crazy amount of flow limitations events on pressure increase testetst2212 6 427 08-25-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [CPAP] 8 Month old Resmed Airsense 10 making a whirring noise JonMichael85 8 16,182 08-23-2024, 05:57 PM
Last Post: xirokx
  New and making sense of results Sassycat 9 327 07-14-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Sassycat
  [Equipment] ResMed making noise at altitude GManCPAP2019 1 298 06-24-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.