Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

stubborn positional apnea
stubborn positional apnea
I have positional apnea that I am finding very difficult to overcome.
There ae a lot of us having the same problem.
What are you doing to overcome this problem that provides relief.
We are all built differently and I know there is no easy answer.
I sleep on my side, use a 3.5 inch cervical collar and a low pillow.
Any other ideas out there?
Here are some of my nights.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: stubborn positional apnea
Is the collar the right size? height is the distance from chin to your sternum. Also the tightness of the collar has to be so the chin can not get past the top of the collar.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
We want to support the chin or jaw and not compress the soft tissue of the throat as you relax and sleep. I just finished a post to another member getting started with a collar that has had problems preventing positional apnea. I think this comment below is probably applicable to many members. I'm really glad to see this discussion, and hope to see ideas from other members that have shared this experience.

Quote:There are a lot of variables in how collars fit. We look for one that stabilizes the chin or jaw and prevents the kinds of angles that restrict air flow. Experiment with the concept and the aid (collar). Work with the fit, and don't expect that the first effort will be completely successful. You achieved an improvement with a simple travel collar. Everyone with a positional apnea issue has their own individual need for support or to avoid the restriction. Don't be frustrated with a setback as this is very common. Look through your chart and notice how early every apnea is followed by another very quickly. This is why you are unrested. The first apnea only arouses you to open the airway, the second arouses or awakens you to shift position. This particular collar, or the way you wore it didn't work. Try something else.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
            Is this looking better for the positional apnea.
Out of desperation I tilted my head back to see if that makes a difference.
It isn't very comfortable but I can force myself to get used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have eliminated all the respiratory artifacts and apparent positional obstruction. There are very few areas where ASV pressure support is recruited for volume, so yes, you nailed it. When I need a little help, I pull a corner of my down pillow between my shoulder and jaw, and that is enough for me. We're all different, so whatever floats your boat is good by me.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool [Treatment] Palatal prolapse mitigated with positional therapy. G. Szabo 2 51 4 hours ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Controlling Positional sleep apnea GeorgeGus 5 443 09-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 26 4,801 09-09-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Increases in pressure not stopping OAs? Positional apnea? imtiqurr 10 520 08-29-2024, 06:15 PM
Last Post: imtiqurr
  Preventing positional apneas, flat pillow or not? Newcpaper 7 427 08-27-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Positional Apnea and going for CPAP EddyDee 27 3,694 06-30-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Fantasieimpromptu
  Clenching caused by Positional Apnea (or vice versa)? SteveIsTired22 2 275 06-28-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.