Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

test trial of nasal mask - a few questions
test trial of nasal mask - a few questions
Trying out the Dreamwisp nasal mask to see if I can get away from the full facemask I've been using (with great success I'll add - my AHI is almost always well under 3 and O2 Sat always over 95-96% - but i do have to cinch it down very tight to get those  numbers). That said, I wanted to see if I could match or stay close to those numbers with the Dreamwisp for obvious comfort reasons. So far my AHI has only ticked up slightly (about +1-1.5 points but still under 4) and O2 Sat is holding steady at around 95%. Great, seems like I could make the switch without sacrificing any therapeutic benefit... BUT...

I started using kinesiology tape on my mouth because that was an issue with mouth leakage with the FF mask. The tape works well but its still a bit I have to go slowly removing it and I'm left with some residual adhesive that I'd like to remove in the morning. Recommendations? Change tape? Solution to remove leftover sticky adhesive?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: test trial of nasal mask - a few questions
I found any of the good mouth tapes extremely painful to remove, but I came up with a solution.  I now use and love the kinesiology tape made by Theraband.  Here's a link to my solution:

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...ight=wimps

Good luck!
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried the Theraband kinesiology tape but it leaves too much adhesive residue on my face. Then tried the blue silicone tape from 3M (Kind). That was a non-starter - couldn't even get a decent seal so it would fail immediately (its meant to be easy to remove so I suppose that isn't a fault of the product).

Then tried Hypafix. Works as well as Theraband but no sticky residue when pulled off! Also has the nice feature of having a slit down the middle of the peel-off backing so its easy to seperate when ready to apply.

$8.13 for 10 yards on Amazon. I like the 2" width as it covers my whole mouth and more for a great seal!

Amazon.com: Hypafix Dressing Retention Tape: 2" X 10 Yds Each : Health & Household
Post Reply Post Reply
I heard a rumor that Milk of Magnesia is great for tape removal. Google it?
Post Reply Post Reply
BlueSky1958,

Any good facial cleanser will remove any sticky residue left from using kinesiology tape or any tape.
I use CeraVe Hydrating FacialCleanser. And if I'm in a hurry or just plain too lazy, I use Neutrogena fragrance free Cleansing towelettes.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes HalfAsleep, Milk of Magnesia is what I apply to my face before using mouth tape. Otherwise, I could not stand the better tapes as they hurt too much to remove. The Milk of Magnesia works very well.
Post Reply Post Reply
The adhesive is a real PITA, especially the stuff from the Breathe Right nose strips and Kinesiology tape. Rubbing alcohol and astringent isn't adhesive-dissolving enough. Still sticky. Still looking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Money 
Just discovered there are adhesive remover wipes (used in hospitals) specifically to remove adhesive residue from medical tape, temp tattoos, anything sticky. All over Amazon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, with the Milk of Magnesia there is no sticky residue.
Post Reply Post Reply
My trick is to put the sticky side of the tape against my shirt once or twice before putting it on. It still secures very well but is a bit easier to remove and doesent leave any residue.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV Questions DreadPirateRawburts 1 74 Yesterday, 12:53 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed F40 mask questions? WCR1950 16 1,030 10-02-2024, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Nasal pillows v nasal mask FLcracker 10 434 10-01-2024, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Doublereeder2
  Three weeks in - Some questions SleepyDwarf123 6 978 09-29-2024, 07:16 AM
Last Post: SDM1
  How to test a mask for leaks in the mask itself? 40plus 2 194 09-25-2024, 02:55 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Dreamwear nasal pillows vs. full face mask arnoblalam 1 178 09-22-2024, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Full Face Mask Issues vs Nasal Pillows Issues FozzyDaBear 8 407 09-17-2024, 03:58 PM
Last Post: FozzyDaBear

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.