Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

weight loss meds with cpap
weight loss meds with cpap
New to CPAP 
has anyone done Weight loss (GLP1) meds like Monjoro with cpap there? Please  do share how it affected your AHI score, your overall health
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: weight loss meds with cpap
I think that this question might be too general, and there are too many confounding variables, to be useful other than as a curiosity query.

While weight loss can affect sleep apnea and reduce the AHI numbers, I am unaware of anything other than one-off anecdotal testimony that could be used as a decision-making guideline. As for the drug's general effects, this forum might not be the right venue to answer that part of the question.

You might want to review the medical literature, like "The Impact of Glucagon-like Peptide 1 Receptor Agonists on Obstructive Sleep Apnoea: A Scoping Review," at https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38251405/ ...

"Results: Literature search and evaluation identified 9 articles that were eligible for inclusion. Of these, 1 was a study protocol, 1 was a case report, 1 was an abstract of a randomised controlled trial (RCT), 1 was a non-randomised clinical trial and the remaining 5 were randomised clinical trials of variable rigour. All studies evaluated the outcomes of GLP-1RAs in patients with diagnosed OSA or symptoms suggestive of this condition."

Conclusion: This scoping review identified early evidence to suggest that GLP-1RAs may improve OSA as defined by reduction in apnoea-hypopnoea index (AHI). This evidence is however conflicting due to contradicting results demonstrated from other studies. Overall, these medications were tolerated well, with minor gastrointestinal side-effects reported in some cases. Of all included studies, the quality of evidence was low, with short lengths of follow-up to identify durable effects of these medications on OSA outcomes and identify adverse events. More rigorous, RCTs with sufficient length of follow-up are required before consideration of formalising these medications into OSA treatment guidelines, frameworks and policies are warranted."
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used the GLP1 class drugs(ozempic etc) and there is no change to my AHI or sleep from the drugs themselves.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using a GLP1 injection since Nov. 2023. Started with Mounjaro, then switched to a compound formula.

Have not noticed any difference in my sleep quality at all, and my AHI is about the same, 2 or lower.

I doubt these GLP1 meds affect sleep, but I'm no doctor.
Some pain medicines can affect sleep.

Post an OSCAR chart and we can take a look to be sure you are dialed in correctly.

If you wish to just discuss GLP1 medicines and how it affects your health, aside from using Cpap, start a new thread in the Off Topic Forum.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the research.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found an interesting article on ResMed's website...  https://www.resmed.com/en-us/emerging-therapies/

FAQ: Anti-Obesity Medications, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, and the SURMOUNT-OSA Clinical Trial 
Answers to questions you may have about anti-obesity or weight loss medications like GLP-1s, obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), and the Eli Lilly SURMOUNT-OSA clinical trial.

Quote:A closer look at what the latest GLP-1 data could mean for those with OSA

Message from our Chief Medical Officer Carlos Nunez

Nearly 40% of the adult population in the US has obesity.1 Nearly a billion people in the world have sleep apnea.2 And the numbers are increasing.3 ResMed has always done what’s best for patients, encouraging all patients to live healthier lives through sleep, diet and exercise. The recent SURMOUNT-OSA clinical trial results are good news for individuals with obesity and sleep apnea. GLP-1 medications will give physicians more options in how they treat patients; GLP-1s will likely be used concomitantly with positive airway pressure (PAP) therapy.

As Douglas Kurz, a 20-year CPAP user on Ozempic, put it: “These GLP-1 agonists are indeed miracle drugs when it comes to weight loss, and that helps with OSA. But for me the miracle treatment for sleep apnea was the CPAP machine, not a drug.”

Having attended the American Diabetes Association’s Scientific Sessions last week, I’m pleased that the importance of sleep in cardiometabolic health was a focal point at the symposium on the SURMOUNT-OSA trial results. The panel of leaders in obesity and sleep health highlighted the positive impact of PAP therapy on OSA severity indices and cardiometabolic markers and discussed the multiple subtypes of OSA.

GLP-1 medications, like Eli Lilly’s tirzepatide, are an emerging option for people with obesity-related sleep conditions, and the 52-week trial demonstrated positive results on reduction of OSA severity and key secondary outcomes such as sleep-related patient-reported outcomes and cardiometabolic markers. This is something that I believe all of us in the medical community should celebrate.

However, it’s important we also revisit some key points:

OSA is a heterogenous disorder

It is important to note that the SURMOUNT-OSA trial included only a small sub-set of patients with OSA: patients with obesity and moderate-to-severe OSA without diabetes.
Why does this matter? There are multiple subtypes of OSA, so it would not be appropriate to generalize the results of this study to a broader OSA population. SURMOUNT-OSA excluded people who have excess weight (but not considered obese (BMI <30)), who have diabetes, who have anatomical variations of their airway, and who have mild OSA with symptoms or comorbidities. In other words, they excluded the majority of patients with OSA/OSA sub-types from the trial.
“Disease Resolution” needs more context

Some of the reactions to the trial that I have read have focused on the term “disease resolution.” This term is not commonly used in the field of sleep medicine, nor is it mentioned in the NEJM scientific article. Instead, the article includes a discussion of the patients who did achieve the secondary endpoints of an Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI) <5 or an AHI 5-14 with a slight decrease in perceived sleepiness.

When the authors of the NEJM article state that “these thresholds represent a level at which PAP therapy may not be recommended,” they are referencing the CMS requirements for PAP therapy coverage, which for AHI 5-14 lists 7 different qualifying symptoms and comorbidities, only one of which is sleepiness. Hypertension is another qualifying condition that was present in >75% of the SURMOUNT-OSA trial population. It’s important that we consider these qualifying conditions as the number of patients for whom PAP therapy may not be recommended is much smaller than perceived.

If reduction in AHI is achieved using weight loss medications, then the medications must be continued (unless the weight loss can be maintained by other means such as lifestyle changes) to avoid the well-documented rebound in weight and a return of the underlying OSA back to baseline levels. OSA is a condition which in the vast majority of patients can be effectively managed, but true resolution is rare, because when you stop the therapy, the OSA typically returns.
Another point that cannot be ignored is that treatment for OSA with PAP has an immediate and typically complete effect, on day 1 of therapy, while weight loss that can potentially lower AHI takes a year or more as reflected in the results of the SURMOUNT-OSA trial itself. Untreated sleep apnea has been shown to increase all-cause mortality in just the first year after diagnosis, by nearly 40%. It’s important to treat both OSA and obesity on day one, because no patient should wait for the therapy they deserve.
Combination therapy is the optimal approach

Dr. Louis Aronne, M.D., from Weill Cornell Medicine, closed the symposium by saying, “It’s possible that combination therapy with tirzepatide plus CPAP is optimal for treatment of OSA and obesity-related cardiometabolic risk.” I couldn’t agree more.
The panelists/investigators involved in the SURMOUNT-OSA trial also emphasized that patients who meet the AHI threshold for mild OSA would still be assessed and in most cases treated with PAP therapy, and agreed that the combination of tirzepatide and PAP therapy is optimal for the treatment of OSA and obesity-related cardiometabolic risk.
Published literature has shown that in patients with moderate-to-severe obesity-related sleep apnea, the combination of PAP therapy and weight loss has been shown to be more beneficial than either treatment in isolation.4

GLP-1s are a welcome and important tool in helping people diagnosed with OSA to meet their weight challenges in order to achieve better health, but they are only one piece of the puzzle when it comes to OSA. As an OSA patient, Douglas Kurz, says it best:
“I feel quite strongly about the benefits of both CPAP therapy and the new class of drugs.  But I am quite clear in my thinking that neither serves as a replacement for the other.  Both are valuable tools in the war against obesity as well as OSA.”
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2024, 02:14 PM)ButtonNoseBarbie Wrote: New to CPAP 
has anyone done Weight loss (GLP1) meds like Monjoro with cpap there? Please  do share how it affected your AHI score, your overall health

4th weeks on Mounjaro next Saturday my 5th week ( 2 weeks 2.5 remaining 5mg was 129Kg today 120kg, no changes in AHI or pressure settings mentioned that to my polysomnographic technician 3 days ago he said your in early stage we can check again under 100Kg
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for update. I was researching on weight loss affect on AHI score. I think it's like effective for people with AHI with moderate to low AHI scores who are obese. People with very high AHI scores may or may not see significant change. Those with lower AHI scores could be CPAP free based on weight loss.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2024, 02:15 PM)ButtonNoseBarbie Wrote: Thanks for update. I was researching on weight loss affect on AHI score. I think it's like effective for people with AHI with moderate to low AHI scores who are obese. People with very high AHI scores may or may not see significant change. Those with lower AHI scores could be CPAP free based on weight loss.

Current AHI 83.7 was 91 in 2015
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weight Gain from Therapy? apneavolt 7 259 09-16-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: AshSF
  [Health] redoing my sleep study: weight loss, medication, etc. and insurance? human 1 102 09-15-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: human
  Long time user, Lost weight AHI going up. Nutshell3160 1 212 07-23-2024, 06:42 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Weight loss prescriptions for sleep apnea?? Lanners 2 304 07-02-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Narcil
  Realistic effect of weight loss/smaller neck measurement Fox66 9 584 04-22-2024, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Fox66
  tidal volume formula height/weight eok361 5 755 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 10 780 04-04-2024, 03:18 AM
Last Post: bushinc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.