Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

10 AHI per hour with cpap - normal?
10 AHI per hour with cpap - normal?
Hi everyone! I’m a CPAP noob with mild sleep apnea. Been using my ResMed Airsense 10 for two solid nights. The first night, according to myAir, I had 10.5 apneas per hour. I attributed this to maybe having my mouth open so the second night I taped my mouth shut. Same thing- roughly 10 apneas per hr. What gives? Is that normal? Or could it be that I need to try a different mask or pressure setting?. I had 13 apneas per hr in the sleep study (w/o cpap) so it doesn’t seem like the Cpap is helping at all.

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 10 AHI per hour with cpap - normal?
It should be less. They usually try to get to 5 or less but normally we can get it lower than that. But to help we need data. We get the data from OSCAR. OSCAR is a totally free software ( open source) that can be downloaded from the top is this site. You do need a SD card (Less than 30 gb) in your machine while you sleep.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
SB, I believe it's 32GB, not 30.  At most stores, 32 is the lowest GB sold.  Shy
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Correct, 32 GB capacity SD card
Any brand
Standard SD card
FAT32 format

Other are correct, 10 AHI indicates there's work to make the therapy better.

If you have your sleep study detailed report, post it redacted of personal info. And if you don't have it, you need to request it from the ordering physician. In the US, HIPAA law says you can request and get it. No isn't acceptable, and I'd report the doctor that refuses to the medical board.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your help! Here is my sleep report. 
[img]blob:https://www.apneaboard.com/984b6856-4392-4e22-8261-f13998df5910[/img]
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my sleep report thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I would give it more than 2 nights before being definitive. CPAP isn't exactly plug and play. New users can be quite goofy in the first few nights. I hadn't used a unit for a while, got issued a biPAP, and spent the whole first night with the button green (i.e. on), but vague blowing. I spent the entire night breathing through my mask with no extra air! I had forgotten exactly how to get the blower going lol. The DME called and asked me why I hadn't used my unit. I am still working on leaks, and it's not like I haven't used a mask before.
So, yeah, don't rush to make changes until you've got a few more nights under your belt, or expect yourself to get it perfect quick as a wink. For me, taping my mouth on Night 2 wouldn't be a grand idea. I think I'd try some less dramatic solutions until I was used to the setup. In fact, your mouth might not pop open in a different position, no need for taping at all. And yes, post your Oscars, so folks can see what's up and help get your AHI down.
Post Reply Post Reply
    My AHI was much better last night! Here is my OSCAR:
Post Reply Post Reply
This is exactly why we ask for oscar charts.  Take a look at the Oa and H events on the top chart.  Look twards the end of the night.  You can see Oa and H events clustured together which is a tale tell sign of positional apnea (yours are mainly Oa).  

Getting rid of as many as you can will lower your AHI.  Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes.  You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway.  Have you changed your sleep position?  Sleeping on your back?  Using more (or new) pillows?  These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway.  Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…

IF you can’t make a simple change like changing to a flatter pillow helps then you will need a collar.  I have a link to collars in my signature at the bottom of the page.  It shows people who are not wearing a collar and the SAME person wearing a collar.  There is a huge difference between the two

Even some of the Centrals could be positional.  The cpap machine is not a perfect way to know if you have central apnea.  The only real way is a in hospital sleep study where they have you hooked up to all of their sensors and a belt around your chest to tell if you are trying to breath and you are asleep.  All the cpap can do is measure air, if it does not have obstruction when it blows a quick burt of air, then it reports a central.  You could even be awake and holding your breath pulling up a blanket.  So some of your centals on the graph may be positional as well.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response. I have no idea what position I am in that could be cutting off my airway. My back I guess? I don't really have a thick pillow. I guess I could change to a flatter one and see what happens?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Overwhelming exhale resistance - is this normal ? Fox66 31 882 06-20-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Waking up every hour Hauko 14 698 06-17-2024, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Hauko
  Does 10 EEG arousals/hour mean sleep apnea? BigWing 0 157 06-12-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  [CPAP] Wake up every half hour skoggy 5 295 06-11-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Fall asleep and wake up in an hour with CPAP nicchamilton 4 358 05-15-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Help to interpret "Events per Hour" data Fritz1255 1 368 03-30-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 523 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.