Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Struggling with CPAP for months. Please help!
Question 
Struggling with CPAP for months. Please help!
Hi everyone!

I am a new time poster - I wanted to get help adjusting my CPAP since I've really been struggling with it. 

Some info: 29 year old man, BMI 22 diagnosed with sleep apnea original AHI 16.7, which appears to largely be positional (worst on back). I have large inferior turbinates and a mostly obstructed nasal passage, so need to use full facemask and mouth breath.

I've been struggling with a lot of different types of masks - tried nasal pillows. 
I have a F20 resmed full face mask and Airsense 11.

Been working at this on and off for about 6 months (worn about 80 times, average of about 4 hours each time), but having difficulty with this actually getting it right.

Thanks everyone! I've attached my OSCAR results from yesterday - used it for 6 hours and felt horrible waking up and needed to sleep an additional 4-5 hours without it before I felt like I could actually do anything.

Eager to hear your suggestions.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Struggling with CPAP for months. Please help!
I started out with an AirFit F20 and it was "okay". I then tried an AirFit F30 and there was a big difference in comfort. 

I'm trying an AirFit F40 tonight for the first time. My expectations are high, so I hope I won't be disappointed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the quick reply! I tried using the AirFit F30 and just had the worst night of sleep so I ended up going another way - maybe I should've tried it again though? Hope the F40 works out for you!
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like a settings tune up could be in order, but that’s not in my skill set.

Are you aware what areas of your mask are leaky? Pick one and hang with it for the night, as many hours as you can, and commenters will have a chunk to look at.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not exactly sure which areas are leaky - not really awake when this happens. I would imagine maybe around my chin area? Also - having some difficulty increasing pressure because my cheeks kind of balloon when I do.
Post Reply Post Reply
I give a mask several nights of use before I decide it's not for me. Proper fit (strap tension) is paramount. I prefer mine to be a bit snug. 

All they'll do is loosen up over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your problems begin and end with positional apnea. The leaks, clustered obstructive events and sleep disruptions all are related to stabilizing your sleeping position and airway. https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a new skill needed. If you hear the mask might be leaky because it hisses, trace your finger around the edge of the mask. The sound of hiss will change. It’s like when you’re putting air in your bicycle tire, and you’re fiddling with the valve.

It’s that spot you’ll need to focus on to address a leak.

Is your mouth dry during the night? That’s another issue that may be related to a leak or the position of the head on the pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply

(07-08-2024, 08:50 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your problems begin and end with positional apnea. The leaks, clustered obstructive events and sleep disruptions all are related to stabilizing your sleeping position and airway. 

Thank you! So basically I'll benefit from a cervical collar and keeping good alignment in my neck while I sleep without adjusting my CPAP all too much?

(07-08-2024, 08:50 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: Sounds like a new skill needed. If you hear the mask might be leaky because it hisses, trace your finger around the edge of the mask. The sound of hiss will change. It’s like when you’re putting air in your bicycle tire, and you’re fiddling with the valve.

It’s that spot you’ll need to focus on to address a leak.

Is your mouth dry during the night? That’s another issue that may be related to a leak or the position of the head on the pillow.

Will definitely give this a shot as well. Thank you! I don't think my mouth is dry in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Struggling with settings touwmus 1 265 08-01-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Finally giving OSCAR a shot after 4 months of CPAP with no results SleeepyPuck 17 389 07-30-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Used CPAP for months and still not feeling better jarrod1893 5 140 07-30-2024, 06:35 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Struggling with ABPAP... need help cjep2000 3 133 07-29-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: cjep2000
  Still struggling with my Dreamstation 1 DianaJune 5 178 07-19-2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Narcil
  [Treatment] Struggling - any ideas what I am doing wrong davell 7 280 07-16-2024, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  SleepHQ data for someone struggling with CPAP therhile 10 284 07-13-2024, 02:02 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.