Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Struggling with ABPAP... need help
Struggling with ABPAP... need help
Had my first two nights of Auto BiPAP and I am struggling. I've tried CPAP twice before but had never been able to fall/stay asleep so at least I was able to sleep at all with Auto BiPAP. Still woke up quite a bit though and finally took the mask off after a couple hours. I'm wondering how I can adjust my pressures better and don't know how to read air flow charts yet.

In my last sleep study using BiPAP I actually qualified for ASV so I may end up switching to that if I can't control my CAs, but they gave me AutoBiPAP to start, and I am hoping to make it work. Just so fatigued and need to figure out how to make this thing help my sleep instead of hurt it.

First night my starting pressures were EPAP 4, PS 2.6, and max IPAP of 10. Using P30i mask, chinstrap, and mouth tape (fell asleep around 1:43 am mark so ignore all the junk before that). Had some hypopneas and an apnea so thought I would bump my pressure up the next night.

Second night my starting pressures were EPAP 4, PS 3.6, and max IPAP of 10. Using P30i mask, chinstrap, and mouth tape. Had bad aerophagia and chest pain. Generally felt like I had too much air being pushed into my lungs.

Any thoughts on what I can adjust for better sleep? Right now I'm feeling like the machine is making me sleep much worse and I've been very tired/distressed the past two days. Charts attached

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Struggling with ABPAP... need help
Are you using the Trigger setting? This has been known to help with CA's.
Try setting it to High and see if that makes a difference.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my experience, it takes much longer for the body to adjust to xPAP than most folks anticipate. You can get all the data lined up, but you’re still stuporous. I figure your actual live body isn’t data, so it doesn’t go along with the plan right away.

This all takes time: it’s not plug and play.

For me, I was stuporous for at least 6 weeks. Absolutely junked. Way worse than before biPAP, which was bad enough. I kept at it, though, and my mind began to clear. I still have my bad days (3 months after biPAP day zero), but the balance are good.

You seem to be doing pretty well with the data items, but continue to follow @OpalRose advice. You are impressively good with leaks.

If you’re on insurance, there are compliance requirements. You’ll want to make sure you register at least 4 hours per day hooked up, even if it means you’re watching tv and not asleep. IME it’s a good feeling to get past the usage requirements, because you don’t run the risk of having your unit reclaimed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I may try that. I should probably mention I have cycle set to very high because in my sleep study I was having trouble initiating the exhale
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SleepHQ data for someone struggling with CPAP therhile 31 866 7 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Struggling to Lower AHI Below 5 terumi 21 381 Yesterday, 08:31 AM
Last Post: terumi
  Struggling with leaks Resmed F40 Karatechop 12 1,922 09-04-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: JPB430
  Really struggling with finding source of problem/right settings theswerve 3 165 08-29-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Using CPAP for 5 months, still struggling abzcpap24 4 280 08-23-2024, 05:07 PM
Last Post: abzcpap24
  [Treatment] Struggling with increased AHI and CAs flyingcrowgang 2 156 08-23-2024, 03:36 PM
Last Post: flyingcrowgang
  [Treatment] New user struggling to wake up refreshed THEVGE 9 963 08-18-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: nh00

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.