Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aerophagia - Gassy - 5+ months now
Aerophagia - Gassy - 5+ months now
I have been using an AirCurve 10 ASV with Resmed P10 nasal pillow nearly every night for 5 months now.  

Last month I started a thread about how I have experienced weight gain after starting therapy; you can see the thread here (35 pounds in 5 months when for the past 20 years I've only ever fluctuated 5 points).    

I am starting this thread to discuss options in regards to aerophagia (swallowing of excess air).  In the middle of the night I am gassy and in the morning I am super gassy.  What are my options?  Therapy seems to be working well in terms of mood and energy levels but something is telling me that long term experiencing aerophagia is unhealthy and it may even have something to do with my weight gain.

Any thoughts or comments?  Thank you!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Aerophagia - Gassy - 5+ months now
Yes, sleep on your sides as much as possible, I used to get it a bit when I would roll over on my back. Also need to use the lowest pressures you can on your bilevel while getting your ahi/rdi under control, it'll be a very fine balancing act..
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Aerophagia - Gassy - 5+ months now
To address my aerophagia issues, I worked with people here to reduce my ASV pressures and that helped greatly.  I also wear a nasal pillow mask when I can, sleep on an incline pillow when I can,  and wear a soft c-collar every night.  Oddly, side sleeping makes the problem worse for me, so I sleep on my back.   Also, I stop eating and drinking a few hours before bed. 

When I get all the pieces in place, the aerophagia is gone.  If I have to alter something (like sleeping with regular pillows instead of the incline wedge because I’m away from home), the aerophagia returns but it isn’t as bad.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] 3 months on CPAP, results have been mixed threeeyedsloth 15 444 Yesterday, 12:09 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  2.5 months into using CPAP, looking for possible adjustment recconendations. macaronno336 22 680 Yesterday, 11:29 AM
Last Post: macaronno336
  First night - aerophagia issues kanikami 8 308 10-13-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Sad No improvement after 5 months, Please HELP Sylka 3 190 10-06-2024, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Sylka
  New to CPAP - Aerophagia? LFS9000 5 296 10-02-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Couple months in.. how does it look? Any recommendations? ReclaimingMySleep 9 427 10-01-2024, 01:09 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Frequent awakenings after 11 months, desperate for help, not sure what to do anymore Miau 8 366 09-28-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Miau

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.