Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still sleepy after 8 months of CPAP
Still sleepy after 8 months of CPAP
[attachment=66351]
Hello everyone,

I’m a 47-year-old male and have been using a CPAP machine since last November. Although I seem to sleep well at night, I continue to experience significant bouts of daytime exhaustion. Sometimes it's severe enough that I fall asleep unexpectedly for a few minutes. I’m not sure if this is an unrelated problem, or if my CPAP settings or sleep apnea could have something to do with it.

Originally, my pressure settings were prescribed at 5-15, but I felt the starting pressure was too low. I've since adjusted it to 11-15. I’ve attached my OSCAR data from last night. Could my excessive daytime sleepiness be an issue with my settings, or should I be looking at other causes?

Any advice or insights from your experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time.

Equipment:
ResMed AirSense 10
AirTouch F20 Mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still sleepy after 8 months of CPAP
(06-29-2024, 12:59 AM)V1nce Wrote: Hello everyone,

I’m a 47-year-old male and have been using a CPAP machine since last November. Although I seem to sleep well at night, I continue to experience significant bouts of daytime exhaustion. Sometimes it's severe enough that I fall asleep unexpectedly for a few minutes. I’m not sure if this is an unrelated problem, or if my CPAP settings or sleep apnea could have something to do with it.

Originally, my pressure settings were prescribed at 5-15, but I felt the starting pressure was too low. I've since adjusted it to 11-15. I’ve attached my OSCAR data from last night. Could my excessive daytime sleepiness be an issue with my settings, or should I be looking at other causes?

Any advice or insights from your experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time.

Equipment:
ResMed AirSense 10
AirTouch F20 Mask.

your charts look very good, machine says only 3 events for the night... i think your settings are dialed in.

i would start looking at other causes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I think you're right. I just wonder if maybe my pressure settings are set too high, and that is making me feel sleepy during the day. I'm not sure if that's possible, though.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could drop your low-pressure setting to 7 and see if that helps you feel better.  It can't hurt to try. Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Deb about changing your min pressure, but would take it one step further and also suggest trying it a bit higher at 13 or 14, and also lower as she suggested. 

What I see are a number of micro-arousals, seen in the spikes on the flow rate graph. What we want to figure out is whether a bit more or less pressure, a bit less EPR, or even a fixed pressure, would help resolve some of them. The wider spikes are likely from movement or position changes, the thin ones are the micro-arousals. Whether they are UARS or not requires further testing. Note that not all of those spikes are sleep impacting, but reducing them can help with getting quality sleep.

Also, read the following article on sleep hygiene. Quite often overall sleep quality is affected as much by how we prepare for bed as it is by how we sleep. It is worth a review to see if anything stands out.

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-hygiene
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] 8 months in and could still use help papjourney 1 68 Yesterday, 02:52 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Oscar Data Looks Fine, But Still Very Sleepy dvschwab 3 201 09-07-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Scored well but still Sleepy Zip Van Winkle 10 412 09-04-2024, 04:54 AM
Last Post: Zip Van Winkle
  Using CPAP for 5 months, still struggling abzcpap24 4 279 08-23-2024, 05:07 PM
Last Post: abzcpap24
  9 months in with no meaningful change johnald 7 312 08-17-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: johnald
Video Please verify: DEFINED: "13 months of CONTINUOUS USE" soyjer 3 241 08-09-2024, 06:30 AM
Last Post: soyjer
  Still Sleepy? HotdogFriendo 5 655 08-05-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: MediocreOpie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.