Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP vs. CPAP - Which One
APAP vs. CPAP - Which One
I am using a Dreamstation 2 APAP which I seem to be having alot of CA's, OA's and Hypopneas. No matter where I set the pressures and Flex, I still keep having apneas. I remember a sleep tech once telling me that he did not like the apap machines because they seem to struggle finding the right pressure and in most cases would under or over compensate an apnea event. Should I try switching it to CPAP with 1 pressure setting to see if that works?

Thanks,
Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APAP vs. CPAP - Which One
You want an apap machine you can change it to a cpap by just setting the min and max the same.

I would get a ResMed autoset 10 or 11. 90% of the people on this site use Resmed.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto that does a great job treating my apneas but I had to send it in for repair. So for the time being I am having to use my Dreamstation 2 as a backup. So on the Dreamstation 2 APAP, can I set the minimum and maximum pressure to the same amount and use it as a CPAP? If so, would I still use the Flex setting? 

Thanks,
Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
Using Flex with a static pressure setting should still allow for a bi-level pressure difference.

-- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2023, 05:23 PM)mawaw1992 Wrote: I am using a Dreamstation 2 APAP which I seem to be having alot of CA's, OA's and Hypopneas. No matter where I set the pressures and Flex, I still keep having apneas.

We would need to see the OSCAR charts so people can see the specific issues.

Quote:I remember a sleep tech once telling me that he did not like the apap machines because they seem to struggle finding the right pressure and in most cases would under or over compensate an apnea event.

That's not an issue if you're using OSCAR to monitor your therapy.

Quote:Should I try switching it to CPAP with 1 pressure setting to see if that works?

You could try it and see how it works.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are some screenshots of the problem I am having with apneas, many of them are in clusters. I use a mouth strip and chinstrap to reduce mouth breathing and a soft cervical collar to reduce positional apneas. I have made several pressure adjustments myself but nothing seems to be helping the problem. Please take a look at them and see what adjustments I could make to bring my AHI down. Back before I switched to the Resmed I was using a Dreamstation 1 APAP machine that I never could get my AHI down low. If I was to try the DS2 in CPAP mode, what pressure would I need to set it at?

Thanks,
Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
You are leaking a lot. You can try a chin strap or soft cervical collar, but a full face mask is the best fix.

Until you get those leaks under control the AHI reported by the machine is meaningless.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I am using a chinstrap with mouth strip to help with my mouth leakage and a soft cervical collar to help with positional apneas. I have tried many full face mask in the past but because my face has a narrow elongated shaped, they all would leak really bad. I presently use the Resmed N30i mask and when laying awake in bed I never hear it leaking, so the leaks are either out my mouth or when I am changing positions while I am sleeping.

Thanks,
Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a chart of the last few nights on my Resmed before sending it in for repair to compare to the nights on the Dreamstation.

Thanks,
Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
The teamed has a better program and usually has less events. As noted by everyone your large leaks are a problem you need to keep working on.  

Your dream station will not be able to get tha AHI as low as the resmed
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP VS AP Dynamic larrygreg 14 468 Yesterday, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Symptoms] Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP gabitzu 6 172 Yesterday, 09:06 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Weinmann / Löwenstein Prisma 20A Auto CPAP: APAP settings: standard vs. dynamic Costas P 7 12,698 09-12-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: donsburg
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 46 2,831 09-08-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Bipap vs Cpap/Apap DreadPirateRawburts 10 317 09-07-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  returning APAP'er, help interpreting OSCAR please :) tml678 2 221 08-21-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: tml678
  carnuntum - Switching from Prisma APAP to Aircurve bi-level therapy carnuntum 8 1,470 08-16-2024, 05:19 AM
Last Post: carnuntum

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.