Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV settings and tips
RE: ASV settings and tips
Thanks Steve! I'm glad to know its normal and expected for this to happen.

Also, I upped my EPAP min to 7. First night I had terrible aerophagia, but I stuck with it and the second night I slept great. Not sure if it made much of a difference but I'm going to stick with it a while and see if it makes things even better.

On another note, I went to an ENT/Sleep Doctor this past week and this doctor was awesome! He listened to me and was willing to write a prescription for an ASV so I have it on hand if my current one breaks down. He was even familiar with OSCAR and could tell from my description of what was happening that an ASV was the right choice. They also did a scope of my nose and figured out that my chronic congestion is due to a deviated septum. He told me that I could pursue a septoplasty if I was interested, but did not pressure me into surgery. He told me there are lots of other non-invasive options as well.

Does anybody here have any experience with septoplasty? I'm a little nervous to go down that route because I hear that empty nose syndrome is a side effect that can be absolutely debilitating.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a septoplasty and more many years ago and it worked very well. I am able to use the N30i nasal mask, with mouth tape, and almost never have to use the F30i due to allergies.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a septoplasty (and turbinate reduction) and can breathe better now.  Less congestion also.  Lots of pain and blood and mucus the first few days after this surgery, but better breathing is my long term result.  The worse the deviation, usually the better the results after surgery.  I hope you make the right decision, jcp519.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
/

ASV does great treating obstructive apneas and hypopnias, as well as eliminating centrals, as long as it is set up properly.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm considering switching to an FFM, specifically the airfit/airtouch F20. I know that I need to change the mask setting in my machine, but will I need to change any pressure settings since I'd be switching from pillow to a FFM? I've read that usually a higher pressure is needed when using a FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
Changing your pressure settings may need to be done. I think the trial and error method will be needed. Try it a bit with the full face, change settings if it feels "off".

I had the ResMed F20 when I had ASV, and it was a too long battle to get it to leak less but maintain even a fraction of comfort. I should have quit the F20 months before I actually changed to Fisher and Paykel masks.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have heard F&P masks are very comfortable. I got an F20 for free so we'll see how it goes and if its no good maybe try the Vitera.

I'm just getting annoyed with using the mouth tape every night with nasal pillows. Plus when I'm congested, nasal masks become pretty uncomfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep Vitera was my second of two by F&P. The first was their Simplus. If the max IPAP 25 was called for, both those F&P handled it well with my ASV. Minimal leaks and good comfort.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It does seem like the F20 wouldn't handle higher pressures very well. I tried the mask test with it and it makes this hilarious farting noise. My wife and I had a nice laugh over that one.
Post Reply Post Reply
I slept last night with the F20. I think these types of masks are a lot more comfortable for me. The pressure changes are much more subtle and not a jarring with a FFM.

However, I do not feel quite as rested today and the number of events went up. Not many apneas but I had much more hypopneas than I usually have. A typical night for me with pillows would have 1-4 hypopneas. 

I'm wondering if I should up my numbers across the board by 1-2 cmH2O. Any thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One week into treatment, any tips? lendenti 3 213 08-28-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: lendenti
  Tips for adapting set up when traveling RedNailz 2 213 08-16-2024, 01:04 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  [CPAP] Looking for Tips on Using Data to Optimize My Sleep Apnea Treatment woives 10 543 07-15-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: woives
  xPAP tuning tips for PB / CA R and R 0 207 06-11-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: R and R
  Any tips for overnight bathroom trip? Mask back on? AJBU 3 397 06-08-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 17 1,029 05-06-2024, 01:53 PM
Last Post: jake79
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,977 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.