Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How do I reduce mouth leaking?
How do I reduce mouth leaking?
Hey y'all,

Using the bleep eclipse and mouth tape. Have found some moderate success with being on BiPAP S mode 18/13 with trigger very high and rise time of 900 msec. I've noticed my data looks fantastic when the air does not go into my mouth, puff up my cheeks, and cause mouth leaking. Even though the leaking is under the threshold of 24 l/min, how do I reduce the air that is coming into my mouth? I've tried double taping my mouth and trying to keep my tongue in the roof of my mouth but my tongue relaxes at night and none of that seems to work. Any suggestions to reduce this mouth leak?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do I reduce mouth leaking?
I have only had air in my mouth a couple of times, but when I did I blew out pretty hard and pulled my cheeks in and it went away. Maybe it would work for you too.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
What kind of tape are you using? I use 2" wide cover roll flexible tape, and it works great even with a bit of facial hair. Proper beard hairs will stick to the tape enough to be uncomfortable when you go to remove it though. I have found that scrunching everything up tight and pulling the tape from the top down to the bottom works well, so that once you are fully relaxed the tape is holding your mouth shut tight. I still get chipmunk cheeks from time to time, but it's always easy enough for me to vent that air out my nose once I'm awake.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe it has to do with your chin dropping slightly. I find my cervical collar reduces how much I get chipmunk cheeks when my mouth is taped because it keeps my chin up.

I use the 3M sensitive blue surgical tape for my mouth, but I'm not sure it would work for you since you have a beard.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Nexcare 3M, one-inch-wide tape works well for me. I close my mouth and lips tight and apply two to three pieces vertically from my nose base to below my chin. I also use an oversized Velpeau collar that prevents me from opening my mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ever considered just reducing your pressure some? Your AHI is right at one. It very well could be that if you get the leaks under control, then you’re retaining more therapy pressure, which potentially could give you the same results at a lower pressure. 

I mouth tape and I noticed that the more stubble I have on my face the harder it is for mouth tape to work. I also have a goatee that a tape across. The shorter my goatee hair the better I get a seal. Days without shaving make it harder to prevent leaks at the corners. So I have to be more diligent trimming and shaving to help stop mouth leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Somnoseal under mouth tape will knock out mouth breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to use 2-inch wide tape cut about 5-1/2 inches long.  Otherwise, I still have mouth leaks
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI of 1, but still sleepy, napping, dry mouth yngwiej 11 375 Yesterday, 06:14 PM
Last Post: SeePak
Question [CPAP] Mouth Farts and Exhale Block KsKisser 2 161 09-12-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What was your experience fighting mouth leaks? PersonInNY 13 384 09-12-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Epilepsy drug could reduce sleep apnoea symptoms? terumi 0 99 09-10-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: terumi
Gross [CPAP] AHI 7-10, desperate and leaking! flabberjabber 18 610 09-02-2024, 06:33 PM
Last Post: flabberjabber
  Mouth Shut but Still have dry mouth/throat jmr8749 10 2,067 09-01-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: nomosnow
  [Treatment] Unable to reduce my AHI shinky 4 208 08-28-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.