Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping?
Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping?
I watched a You Tube video about drymouth and how the solution is to sleep while breathing through your nose. Here's the kicker: I watched the whole video while breathing through my nose! For some reason, I find it near impossible to fall asleep while breathing for my nose, though.

I was just wondering how many people have the same problem and how many people have overcome that problem - If you're out there and you 'beat the system', please let me know, and maybe include some tips if you have any.

I wear a full face mask specifically because I just always sleep with my mouth slightly open. The guy in the vid also claims that that's kind of peoples' way to adapt slightly to sleep apnea before they get a cpap, so it amounts to a 'bad habit' which can be overcome. I guess the part of me that watched that vid while breathing through my nose wants to believe that's true, but I just can't seem to make it happen - Even when I do breathe through my nose when not sleeping, I still occasionally breathe through my mouth periodically.

So, if anybody has any thoughts, words of wisdom, or encouraging anecdotes, please post them in the responses. I'm willing to try, but I just don't see it happening. Maybe someone can change my mind, though...

The video is titled 'CPAP Dry Mouth & Mouth Leak - 3 Tips To Fix' if anyone wishes to watch it (I would post a link, but apparently my profile is too new).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping?
Yeah, try sleeping on an incline. Theres a video I watched on youtube called ''The Best Sleeping Position For Sleep Apnea & Snoring'' and he recommended sleeping on an incline because when you first lay down, your nose gets clogged which is true and sleeping on an incline or a pillow rampe, what it does is it drains all of that out of your nose so you can breathe easier through it, I would watch it if I were you. Also have you tried using the humidity settings on your machine? That does help with nasal congestion as well, so does nasal spray. When I had a Nasal mask, I had to use Saline nasal spray to clear it up quite often. I used Arm & Hammer Simply Saline.
Post Reply Post Reply
That sounds like it'd probably require a new bed, so I'd imagine that's probably out of the question. Unfortunately, I'm in limbo waiting on social security, and I've heard that most people get rejected their first time, so I probably have a long road ahead of me before I get any reasonable amount of money, and that's pretty terrible. So pretty much: If insurance won't provide it for me, I'm not going to be able to get it - I even resorted to using one of my elastic bands I used for knee physical therapy to try to hold my mouth shut and that didn't seem to work.

Sad

On the plus side, my dry mouth is quite a bit better now that I've replaced my ripped mask with a new one again...
Post Reply Post Reply
No new bed required, you can buy ramp pillows on amazon. I have one.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had mouth breathing problems for about 1 year.  I tried everything, Full Face mask, special mints that stuck to your teeth to keep saliva forming, Taping my mouth....  I read someone used what he called tongue suck.   If you put your tongue on the back of your upper teeth and suck you tongue back - you are forced to breath through your nose..  All fine and good but as soon as I feel asleep my tongue fell to the bottom of my mouth.  So I started practicing, every time I could think of it I would to a tongue suck and after several weeks my tongue was trained and stayed up on the roof of my mouth and no leaks.

This takes a while to get it to work but it does work.  Use tape or full face mask until you get this mastered.  It will work.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m a nose breather all day but my mouth falls open as soon as i fall asleep.
Recently learned that being hypermobile is a factor in this - as well as being a factor in sleep apnoea too. Apparently hypermobility results in more floppiness when asleep, which includes tongue, jaw, palate and airway floppiness. Hence the slumped drooling that has happened my whole life.

Chin straps and mouth tape have never helped (I just remove them in my sleep).

The humidifier has been life changing. It is wonderful to not wake up with a dry mouth.

This is why I’m in a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, however I have trouble breathing through my nose while awake too.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you tried a nasal mask, pillows mask, or Bleep you would be forced to breathe through your nose.  I think you would find that you can do it.  I started with a full face mask, as I thought I needed it, but it leaked quite a lot, so I tried my husband's nasal mask and did just fine, so I switched to a pillows mask (as they leak less than nasal masks) and eventually to Bleep.  Therapy is comfortable and great.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Very high amounts of periodic breathing / CSR ? gregbe2000 27 688 Yesterday, 11:54 PM
Last Post: gregbe2000
  OSCAR - best night yet, but still having trouble. gohoos1998 0 80 Yesterday, 04:56 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  Please recommend a facial mask that doesn't touch the bridge of the nose. Asjb 5 132 Yesterday, 03:29 AM
Last Post: Asjb
  Bad at Breathing Haldir 36 1,387 09-27-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sleeping on incline doubled my AHI? vHungry 5 209 09-26-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  [CPAP] AHI suddenly high as well as PB and variable breathing tresero 5 226 09-24-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: tresero
  [Health] Breathing Exercises Better Sleep or not? seepapnyc 0 159 09-11-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: seepapnyc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.