Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone travel with backup equipment?
Anyone travel with backup equipment?
A broken CPAP machine might be a rare event, but if I'm traveling with one that breaks our vacation is ruined. I'm thinking of a river cruise, for example, where we have only one cabin. In my case, my problem was very loud snoring that prevented us from sharing a room or cabin. The CPAP machine totally stopped my snoring.

If the machine didn't break, but failed in such a way that it became noisy, that would also ruin the vacation.

So, I'm going to travel with a backup machine. (At home it's not as critical, since I could move to another room.)

Am I alone in seeing things this way? Does anyone else do this?

Has anyone experienced a failure when traveling?

If I could be guaranteed that there would be no failure, I wouldn't worry about it, but I don't think such a guarantee is possible. I've seen posts here that refer to machines that have been sent in for repair.

(Cost of a second machine and insurance issues aren't factors.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone travel with backup equipment?
This happen to another member on a cruise not to long ago and he posted about it. Hopefully he will chime in here shortly or you can search for his post. It was about 3 or 4 weeks ago I think.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here it is.

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...AP-Failure
Post Reply Post Reply
Totally answers my questions. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd bring one of my backups too, after seeing that thread awhile back Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a 9, 10 and 11. The 9 is nearly new because it broke and ResMed lost it during repair, in the meantime I got a 10. I used the 9 as a travel machine. Then I got a sweet deal on a new 11. Now the 10 is my travel machine because it's smaller.

I wouldn't take a backup travel machine because at some point then you worry they both fail due to packing them etc., and while medical equipment is not counted as carry-on, there must be some limit for people Sherpa-ing six machines. Maybe if two fit in one case, which is not a crazy idea, I could carry two in one bag.

If it works and is carry-on, the odds of it suddenly not working are slim just due to travel. I even pack it in checked luggage, hard side suitcase, in the ResMed bag, wrapped with two towels held by straps around the bag and there have been no issues.

It also depends where. Where I live there are many CPAP machines on Kijiji, and in a pinch I'd buy one used or new.

But end of the day carry as many as you want and protect them from damage. Also some countries customs might not be convinced that one is not for sale.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] I need help setting up my new travel CPAP 47chrisrodz 1 157 08-29-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Power Supply Backup. What do you all have? Little Olive 13 694 07-03-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  DS Go & travel to Germany cate1898 2 317 06-28-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  Help with travel CPAP Mitchell 5 340 06-21-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] realistic equipment durability... jojo314519 7 431 06-12-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: jojo314519
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 7 904 06-01-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: xaid
  Discreet, aesthetically pleasing travel bag spambox925 8 681 06-01-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: cps22

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.