Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Power Supply Backup. What do you all have?
Power Supply Backup. What do you all have?
So because l am essentially a worry-wart, l need to fret about what would happen if l had no electricity for my machine. Do you have backup in place in the event of power cuts due to storms, floods, earthquakes etc ?

I cannot breath properly at all without it, my sleep would be nonstop cheyne stokes and something like AHI 50.  I can't  even have a 30 minute nap without a  solid bar of CSB. 

I can likely buy something for short term, ie a normal length domestic power cut of a few hours, or one night ...... recommendations for that would be appreciated.   But what about for longer , like several days or more?   I live in a seismic zone, we get small shakes fairly often, and we are constantly getting dire warnings from civil defence agencies about preparing for "the Big One".  It's possible to be without power for days, even weeks, and even a small event can mean loss of power.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Power Supply Backup. What do you all have?
are you ok not using the humidifier or heated tube? those things consume a lot of power.

if you want to go overkill and be able to sustain multiple days you have the jackery stuff, but it's pretty expensive. power usage estimates without humidifer and heated tube i see are between 10w and 25w (depending on pressure) so the 500 (518Wh) should be at least 20h but they have bigger ones too. https://www.jackery.com/products/explore...er-station

i think you'll also want to DC power cable, for better efficiency. using the 220V AC plug would waste power.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went to Mirco Center and bought a 550 va  CyberPower backup UPS works great in recent power shut down in Southern California it cost 69.00. Read the manual. If you tap the power button twice it disables the beeper speaker for silent running..

on separate issue my BPS C-100 travel battery is configured for Puritan Bennett uses a 4 pin connector I would like to configure for Resmed airsense 10. Anyone know how.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just finished doing preliminary testing on new portable power stations.
We live in hurricane alley and enjoy power outages. Here's the skinny ...

ResMed AirSense 11, unheated slimline hose, average pressure 11
Using the 110V outlet, with humidifier @ 4/10 = 22Wh
Using the 110v outlet with humidifier turned off = 14Wh
Using the 12V outlet with humidifier turned off = 7Wh

Jackery Explorer 240v2 (brand new release), 256Wh @ $199 purchase price
Goal Zero Yeti 300 (brand new release), 297Wh @ $225 purchase price
HKY ResMed 11 12V adapter (12V to USB) @ 37 purchase price

Prices do fluctuate based on purchase source, promotions and wind direction

Both units are high quality with LifePO4 battery packs (+4,000 cycles)
Both units feature a five year warranty. Jackery 7.7#, Goal Zero Yeti 13.7#
Jackery rapid charge from 0-100% in about an hour, Yeti in just 50 minutes
Rapid charging is controlled thru the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth app for both devices

Summary ... humidifier off & 12V power. Jackery ~36 hours, Yeti ~42 hours

NOTE:
ResMed AirSense 10 consumes a bit more power due to the larger blower
However, you should get 2-3 nights quite easily (humidifier off, 12V power)
Post Reply Post Reply
See replies in this thread

It has my solution for 
4 days wall powered
Power the fridge also
And for 4 days plus solar power

All of these with humidifier and heated tube, without it would run 12 days.

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...#pid520602

This is less or similar to the cost  of the jacker, but some assembly required.  I have been using the first solution for 6 months or so nightly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Which power back up is FAA approved for travel. The CyberPower 550 VA can give me 8 hour for 69.00. What I want is a 6 volt to 12 volt booster with a barrell male to fit female connector on Airsense 10. or even a hobbyist that would take on profect.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are NO DIY or modified solutions that are FAA approved.

I wouldn't try to get a hobby version through screening or you will likely loose it.

For that you will need to go back to the generic standard expensive ones you can find on most of the vendor websites.  You can check the Jackery or other vendor websites to see if those are approved or not.  I suspect if they are there are rules on power state, where carried, and all of that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2024, 09:59 AM)Arthurlive Wrote: Thank you. Which power back up is FAA approved for travel. The CyberPower 550 VA can give me 8 hour for 69.00. What I want is a 6 volt to 12 volt booster with a barrell male to fit female connector on Airsense 10. or even a hobbyist that would take on profect.

FAA requires <100Wh to take on the flight. ResMed offers a perfect solution, other than pricing.
ResMed Power Station II (RPS II)
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought a Medistrom Lite 24 battery for a (car) camping trip.  I use an AS10 at 13-14 pressure, and with the heated tube and humidifier switched off I would estimate that I used 50-75% of the battery capacity each night based on the 4 little lights.  I also bought the 12V car lighter socket cable, so could recharge it in the car each day in under a couple of hours of driving.  So I happily get 1 full night, probably wouldn't make it all the way through 2 nights without access to power...

I also now use it as an inline UPS at home (mains power -> battery -> AS10).  I have had the power unexpectedly go out overnight, and with this setup I got an extra couple of hours sleep (with heated tube and humidifier ON) before I suddenly woke up to a dead machine!  So certainly not a full night in this scenario, but it happens very rarely here and a couple of hours extra sleep is better than nothing.

It isn't full Prepper level, but it's small & light, ok to take on planes, and can get me from one day to the next as long as I can find mains or 12V power each day to recharge it. Everything is a bit of a compromise, but I'm happy with it. 

There is a folding solar panel for it as well but I have no need for that currently.

Hope you find the solution that suits you.

Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for an amazing lot of detailed information, l've got plenty to be going on with here. Much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP power post hurricane PeaceLoveAndPizza 2 139 09-27-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  ResMed 11 Battery Backup sptrout 6 341 09-26-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: LyndMc
  Power button Airsense 10 venomous duck 5 362 08-05-2024, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
Thumbsup Tampa FL forgot Resmed Power Supply at home Jerzasnore 13 517 07-14-2024, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Anyone travel with backup equipment? SkySleep 5 393 07-13-2024, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Proprietary ResMed A10 Power Connector Electrical Details Snoopy.pa30 26 8,915 07-01-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Arthurlive
  Remote power button? JohnKoz 13 907 05-06-2024, 04:05 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.