Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Buying Resmed 10 Autoset after bad sleep study
Buying Resmed 10 Autoset after bad sleep study
I had a sleep study last night that went horribly. “classic insomnia” is how the technician described it. Although I did end up giving them 3 hours of sleep after taking 2 Tylenol PMs. The technician remarked that my sleep was unremarkable and that he didn’t see any apneas.

Here’s the thing though - every gf I’ve had going back to when I was 18 (34 now) has told me I hold my breath and gasp for breath in my sleep. My current gf has recorded 2 audio clips and im clearly struggling to get air. I also have all the symptoms that come with sleep apnea - fatigue, irritability, falling asleep on planes, reading, watching movies,etc., waking up 2-3 times a night to urinate, headaches after waking, brain fog, waking up with heart racing. 

Today I did a quick check on Craigslist and there’s someone selling a new unused Resmed 10 Autoset with humidifier w/accessories for $550. This seems like a good deal based on prices ive seen in the US. Should I just take the plunge and buy it and get a lot more data on my own? Are there any specific questions I should ask about the device before I buy?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Buying Resmed 10 Autoset after bad sleep study
You may have other issues that mimic apnea, but that would be something between you and a qualified physician.  Those few three hours of sleep couldn't have been completely useless as an indicator of whatever the instruments are meant to measure.

Even so, if only for your peace of mind, perhaps this might be a worthwhile investment.  At the worst, in autotitration mode you might find that the sleep study was largely correct if subsequent sleepyhead data is unremarkable.  You could turn around and recoup most of your expenses by reselling the machine.  However, you may validate your own suspicions, in which case you have a machine at a good price that can help with your health.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may have other issues that mimic apnea, but that would be something between you and a qualified physician.  Those few three hours of sleep couldn't have been completely useless as an indicator of whatever the instruments are meant to measure.

Even so, if only for your peace of mind, perhaps this might be a worthwhile investment.  At the worst, in autotitration mode you might find that the sleep study was largely correct if subsequent sleepyhead data is unremarkable.  You could turn around and recoup most of your expenses by reselling the machine.  However, you may validate your own suspicions, in which case you have a machine at a good price that can help with your health.
Post Reply Post Reply
Buy the friggin machine.

I want to know the results.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll second getting the machine. You will quickly learn if you sleep and feel better, and will have some data to look at. There is absolutely nothing you can do to hurt yourself by that decision. I would also suggest you look into nasal pillows mask to start like the Airfit P10. Make sure the model is the Autoset, and if you want a climateline (heated) hose upgrade, ask about the price. The heated tubing only costs $31 on Amazon.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get the machine asap and start recording data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would look for a older and cheaper model like the Resmed S9 which would save you money. If it turns out you have sleep apnea than you can go buy a new one and use the old one as a backup.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welp I purchased the Resmed. I took a look at the settings and it turns out it is slightly used (~150 hrs). That's kinda unfortunate. I was hoping for a brand new machine. But, it came with the following, sealed & new:
  • Resmed ClimateLineAir Oxy heated tube (cancelled my Amazon order for this, nice!)
  • Philips DreamWear gel pillow masks (P10 arrives Saturday)
The humidifier looks like it's never been used and it smells like fresh plastic, but it wasn't sealed in the bag, so I have no idea if it's been used, but I want to disinfect it anyways. The machine itself looks clean as well except for dust from sitting in storage. My main question now is.. since this is used, how do I disinfect this machine to ensure my safety? The guy who sold it to me told me his dad died, but never used this (he obviously tried to use it since it has 150 hrs).

I guess I can't post images until I have 4 posts but here's pics of everything:
imgur.com/a/7o1JYQC
Post Reply Post Reply
After doing some research, I ordered a new humidifier through Amazon, which should be here Saturday. I'm going to hold of on using the machine until I have the new humidifier just to be safe. I'll have the P10 & humidifier on Saturday for my first test.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine is not subject to pathogens. Put in a new filter, wipe the outside with a sanitizing wipe and you're good to go. Do not try to open the machine. I'll suggest you start at a minimum pressure of 6.0, maximum pressure of 14.0 and EPR set at 2. This is a wide range, and we can judge what needs done once we see some data. Note that with EPR at 2 your minimum exhale pressure is 4.0. You do not want a lower minimum pressure, and you will likely need a higher one. Good luck!

Edit: A couple other things to do. Reset the user data from the clinical menu and change Essentials from ON to PLUS to get more detailed menus and more therapy data on the user screens. Make sure the SD card is wiped or format to FAT32.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  should I use cpap pressure over autoset Person 16 610 10-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Airsense 10 Autoset Too Much Pressure? MiRock72 14 534 10-16-2024, 08:48 PM
Last Post: MiRock72
  Second opinion on sleep study results? Trimochio 2 179 10-15-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: winterwaveforms
  HELP: Sudden drastic worsening of Sleep Apnea - Can't sleep at all, CPAP completely u Unkikonki 10 525 10-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Please interpret my Sleep Study Results for Central/Mixed Apnea at 4% desaturated lvl memoryNada786 6 273 10-13-2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: memoryNada786
  [Diagnosis] How to know if I am "deep sleeping" in OSCAR with RESMED AutoSet 10? sebasan2006 2 203 10-08-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: sebasan2006
  Resmed S9 Autoset an error message after changing the motor SealL30 5 1,110 10-06-2024, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.