Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Inhale/exhale ratio
Inhale/exhale ratio
Everything I read says your inhale to exhale ratio should be 1:2. When i was in bipap that was my experience.

I have since switched to asv and now my inhale is longer than my exhale. 

What does that usually mean, is it bad, and how to I fix it
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inhale/exhale ratio
Sometimes the I:E ratio can be distorted.  

If you could upload a 3 minute zoomed in OSCAR of a time when you were asleep (using the ASV), it might gives some clues.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Waking up with headaches 

Settings as prescribe from sleep study:

ASVAuto

EPAP: 5-7
PS: 1-6

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your profile information is incorrect for the type of device. Edit  your profile in the User CP to avoid confusion. https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/usercp.php

Your graph shows inspiration is actually shorter than expiration, and the device is improperly reporting the moment you reach zero flow after expiration as the beginning of inspiration. If you mark the crossover when the expiration increases above zero (the actual start of inspiration), I'm sure you will see inspiration is generally shorter duration.

It appears you are using ASV to attempt to increase tidal volume. Your previous results with the Vauto showed no problems with central apnea or other anomalies, and the closeup you recently posted shows you had a similar respiratory pattern with the Vauto with an extended expiratory time at or near zero flow before spontaneous inspiration initiated.  The older Vauto threads also show you have given up significant tidal volume after changing to ASV.  This is due to a lower PS min and higher respiration rate than your normal spontaneous rate with Vauto.  You don't need ASV, and your results with the Vauto are demonstrably better than ASV at this point. With the ASV algorithm, your respiration is a mix of machine triggered and spontaneous, and the machine triggered and supported breaths are very flow limited. While this is acceptable for someone with central sleep apnea syndrome, it is not an improvement for you because you have no issues with spontaneous respiration, supported by a steady pressure support. If you post an image with ASV showing both the Flow Rate and Mask Flow graphs, we may see why the ASV is triggering breaths, even though you don't need that. This will be more evident in a period with higher pressure support. Based on the graph below, I suspect your normal respiratory pattern includes a long period of null flow in expiration, the the ASV is cutting that off.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=49496]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply.

I have attached a shot of the mask pressure for asv as well as the last night I used bipap (the pressure it says is wrong for some reason in settings but you can see what it operated at).

Note: I went through a rough period where I started having a number of centrals, so much so my doctor prescribed me something used for altitude sickness to help reduce them which helped. 

I have both machines. Based on these screen shots, what would your suggestion be?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Mouth Farts and Exhale Block KsKisser 2 320 09-12-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Air mini exhale is aggressive Alan Speed 3 354 08-05-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Alan Speed
  Setting Pressure While Difficult to Exhale atgg11 11 763 07-22-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: atgg11
  Straining to inhale lavern 11 538 07-16-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Resmed Airsense 10 - Whale Noises inhale/exhale onedollar 9 862 06-24-2024, 12:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  What is this breathing pattern? Regular inhale, almost flat exhale cqrmskaprd 10 609 06-22-2024, 10:40 PM
Last Post: cqrmskaprd
  Overwhelming exhale resistance - is this normal ? Fox66 31 1,323 06-20-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Fox66

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.