Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] OSCAR help adjusting pressure - Prisma smart
OSCAR help adjusting pressure - Prisma smart
LAB Sleep Study: AHI of 52
Current AHI with CPAP < 4
CPAP Machine: Löwenstein Prisma SMART Max APAP 5-11 cmH2O softPAP level 2 (using ResMed AirFit F30) with a humidifier set at level 2.

I've been using a CPAP machine for nearly a month now, and my AHI has consistently been under 4. I started feeling better after just three days of CPAP therapy and have since gotten used to it.I need your help understanding whether the pressure settings prescribed by my doctor are adequate or can be improved based on my OSCAR data.

Initially, my doctor lowered the maximum pressure from 12 to 11 after noticing that my median pressure was 9.8. However, after reviewing the data myself through OSCAR, I noticed that the IPAP 95% is at 11, and the maximum IPAP is also 11.

I feel like my pressures could be optimized further. Currently, the minimum pressure is set at 5, which feels low to me, and the maximum pressure is set at 11, which might not be sufficient (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Additionally, I see that I have a lot of flow limitations. Should I be concerned about these, or should I focus only on the apneas?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR help adjusting pressure - Prisma smart
It looks like you have a lot of flow limitations.  A good way to try to stop these is to increase the difference between your EPAP and IPAP (increase the Pressure support).  I am not sure how to do that on your machine (it looks like you may need to choose a different softpap level - yours is at 2 currently.  The difference in your charts between EPAP and IPAP is only around 1 or 1.5 (going by your median pressures).  Resmed machines have an EPR feature up to 3 that can help flow limitations. Bilevel machines can do greater than 3 pressure support.

Here is some reading on the Prisma line of machines:    Lowenstein PrismaLine optimization
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
The maximum soft PAP setting is 2 on my machine (referred to as EPR in ResMed). I have adjusted my pressures to 7-12. Could you please take a look? I have a lot of flow limitations and RERA. I also used your link to enhance the graphs and make them more understandable.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for posting those charts and explaining your situation.  It is good that you have maxed out your softpap (2).  That should help decrease flow limitations.  

2 other things might help.  1.  Of course is raising pressure.  You can raise the minimum pressure.  Also, you can raise the max pressure if you are hitting it during the night.  

2.  You can try sleeping on a thinner pillow, side sleeping instead of back sleeping, and possibly even trying a soft cervical collar.  These are strategies for positional apnea, but there is a chance they could help in your situation. 

If you try all of these and they don't significantly reduce your flow limitations, I can't think of any more suggestions to optimize your therapy with this particular Lowenstein machine.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your input. I will definitely try increasing the minimum and maximum pressure and see how it goes from there.
Is it normal to use this CPAP machine in its current condition for 1 or 2 more years? I'm afraid I can't buy another one at the moment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Absolutely great and practical question you ask.  It depends on how you are feeling in the morning after sleep.  Your 2 or so AHI is good.  You do have very high flow limitations though.  Flow limitations can disrupt sleep, but they are not as severe as apneas.  

A compromise would be to use this machine as long as you have to (if it is acceptable to you) until the opportunity arises to get a different machine.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Post Reply Post Reply
really really thank you Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weinmann / Löwenstein Prisma 20A Auto CPAP: APAP settings: standard vs. dynamic Costas P 7 12,693 09-12-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: donsburg
  PRISMA CR ASV machine Arik 1 132 09-04-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Help adjusting pressure keen.rain4317 4 288 09-03-2024, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help needed with OSCAR data and pressure SleepyCPAPa 2 181 09-01-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Help adjusting CPAP--High Pressure Waking Me pharmdfl 3 250 08-25-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help with OSCAR Report from Loewenstein Prisma Smart crunchy92 3 260 08-23-2024, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question Z2 pressure vs Airsense11 pressure jwalker5 2 165 08-17-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: jwalker5

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.