Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Started CPAP 5 days ago, have burning pain in thigh
Started CPAP 5 days ago, have burning pain in thigh
As the title says, I have severe sleep apnea and started treatment 5 days ago, I am getting on well with it  but the last couple of nights I have had pain down my left leg and in particular a burning pain in my thigh. It generally gets worse when I lay in bed and this morning it was really quite painful.

I have seen instances of people posting with similar pains on online groups but they never reported back after seeing their doctor. I rang our health helpline and they sent me to the emergency doctor, he just made sure it wasn't deep vein thrombosis and sent me home. 

I will probably ring my sleep clinic tomorrow to try and figure out what I can do as it is disturbing my sleep. But if anyone has had similar and knows any way I can alleviate the discomfort that'd be amazing. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Started CPAP 5 days ago, have burning pain in thigh
Could be back pain radiating down your leg. Are you sleeping a new position now that you are on CPAP therapy? I'm thinking the new sleeping position is somehow aggravating the back. It's the only thing I can think of other than a coincidence.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, I do have back problems and ongoing problems with my intercostal muscles. I see a physio and occasionally a chiropractor about it. It seems that might have been caused by my sleep apnea, I just didn't know I had it. I don't *think* I am sleeping differently, I still sleep on my stomach at the start of the night but at some point usually roll onto my back. It could possibly be because I am not thrashing about all night anymore?
Post Reply Post Reply
The pain is unrelated to CPAP therapy, but sounds uncomfortable. Have you tried a firm pillow or cushion that can provide lift behind or under your knees? I am not a prone sleeper, but on my side and back the knee-pillow can be very comfortable and will also relieve back pain.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, that's very good advice. It must just be one of those strange coincidences. I will try with a pillow and hopefully it helps Smile I think I might see if I can get a physio appointment in the morning for maybe some exercises to do which might help.

Thank you both for your answers, really appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds almost like a sciatic nerve issue sleeping on your stomach doesn't help. I would try sleeping on your side and see if it helps. There are exercises that can help too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks ischua, I do feel much better on my side I just sadly don't seem to stay there.

Just in case anyone else searches similar, I have seen my physiotherapist this morning and she isn't sure what is causing it but thinks it is possibly an injury (I have no idea how but I guess I am quite a tired person so it's possible haha), my blood pressure is really good so she is happy it isn't heart related which she thought it could be. I'm just going to try and exercise it gently and it should hopefully go away at some point.

Unfortunately it's doing a right number on my sleep but at least it's nothing serious.

Thanks again for all the help and support.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a rolled up blanket against my back to keep me from rolling over. I'm in severe pain 24/7 and can only sleep on my right side and the blanket does help. Takes a lot of pressure off the hip. I spent 4 months in a coma and 6 months in the ICU all on my stomach. My left side suffered severe nerve damage as a result and there's no way to repair it. Still learning to walk after 3 years but getting better slowly. PT and exercise and stretching can make a world of difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am so sorry to hear what a time you've had of it. I really hope you recover soon and improve in mobility.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad the rolled blanket helped. I think a body or contour pillow might be a good investment. Similar to your blanket, but cooler and lighter.

[Image: Base-Cover-White_Cuddler-Cover_3_800x.jpg?v=1663071074]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just started 6 days ago! benjaminjaquith 15 442 3 hours ago
Last Post: benjaminjaquith
  Weird Flow Rate Pattern Started 3 days ago Dodies 2 58 Yesterday, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Dodies
  Airtouch f20 tearing after a few days yankees123 41 10,597 09-29-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: frankzappa
  Started noticing dry mouth in the morning BionicSpud 13 279 09-29-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: eok361
  Apnea and Prescription Pain Meds - Beware cyberfiche 5 187 09-28-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Two Days In RegenHealth 3 104 09-28-2024, 02:19 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] ASV AHI between 0-1 but still tired some days Melkarid 4 228 09-24-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Melkarid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.