Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Still can't keep mask on after switching to ResMed
Still can't keep mask on after switching to ResMed
I recently made my first post asking for advice on pressure settings as I could not sleep more than a few hours before subconsciously ripping my mask off. My sleep doctor gave me a Resvent iBreeze 20A, which I was surprised to hear is considered a subpar machine. At the recommendation of some users I purchased a ResMed AirSense 10 and brought up the minimum pressure to 6 with an EPR of 2 as that was what I was attempting before. While my OSCAR data shows nearly no AHI events, I'm still only able to wear the mask for ~3 hours before I take it off. I don't experience any difficulty falling asleep; I just can't seem to stay asleep with the CPAP. Appreciate any advice on why that is.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still can't keep mask on after switching to ResMed
Here are some general things to consider. We can help with tweaking things.

1. Pressure too low - even though you may have a great AHI, if the pressure is not enough for both IPAP and EPAP, you may feel like there is not enough air. A bit more pressure should help.

2. Pressure too high - too much IPAP and/or EPAP pressure may be uncomfortable. It takes time to adjust for some, whilst others cannot get used to it. Dropping pressure slowly to find the sweet spot where events are handled and it is comfortable will help.

3. Fighting the machine - when we first turn up the pressure it feels uncomfortable to breathe for some. Breathing with the machine, not against it, will be much more comfortable. Relax. Breathe normally. It should not feel like a struggle, but if it does it is likely you fighting the machine and not the machine fighting you.

4. Mask and headgear sizing - mask and headgear need to be the correct size for you. Even if they are masks just do not fit people the same way. Subtle variances in physiology make a big difference in comfort. You have to find the right mask for you, but there is no secret to it. Many of us try half a dozen or more masks before finding the right one at the correct size. Give it a chance, but do not struggle with a mask or headgear. 

5. Hose management - Find what works for you positioning the hose. Some like it in the air hanging down, others above their head, and still more that like it under the covers across their bodies. Find what works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your min is to low. try Min 8 Epr 3 Max 12

I think you will be able to sleep longer, better.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The other guys have given great advice. One other thing, it's going to sound to oppose what you're after, but you may want you try reduction or eliminating the Ramp. Some have found this alone to be a cause for disturbance. Yes, it's only early in a session, but if you restart the VAuto, it's there again at the preset pressure for the minutes set.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will try using a tighter range of pressure and turning off the ramp. Should I be at all concerned about the CA event?
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like a single Central event, no it should not be of much concern.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a low level leak going on almost continuously. Try to resolve that. If that's making any kind of hissing noise, it could be causing arousals.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Paula. A bit embarrassing, but I actually tore a part of my tube as I was disconnecting it from my machine the other day. I hot glued and taped the tear, but it's possible there's still some air leaking out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EERS using Resmed AirFit P30i Mask GrantT 10 1,964 10-04-2024, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Macka
  ResMed F40 mask questions? WCR1950 16 1,007 10-02-2024, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  New Resmed mask yankees123 6 234 10-01-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: LFS9000
  CPAP Mask Size Issue: Will Switching to a Large Prevent My Morning Headaches? sinanacar 5 375 09-28-2024, 07:17 AM
Last Post: sinanacar
Angry [CPAP] Resmed Mask F30i - Tabs keep breaking.. Anybody else have this problem? Snacko 6 2,540 09-24-2024, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Sis2cher
  AHI very high after switching from Dreamstation to Aircurve 10 mu50256 16 805 09-23-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: mu50256
  Thinking about switching to Resmed F40 FFM buddy0329 7 359 09-15-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: buddy0329

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.