Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP, Surgery and OSCAR
RE: CPAP, Surgery and OSCAR
It seems like you're getting quite a bit of both centrals and obstructives, which we call 'complex' or 'mixed' apnea. Now, with that said, and take into account that I may have missed something in reading through your post, but I do not know how many days total you have been on PAP, and it is actually quite common for new patients to experience centrals at the beginning as their body takes time to acclimate to the pressurized air. What may potentially help reduce CAs is switching to a fixed pressure, one that is preferably above your current pressure because you are still having a considerable amount of obstuctives. If this persists to not work or clear up, then it might be worth trialing a more sophisticated PAP machine, such as ASV, that is designed for dealing with complex apnea.

On a separate note, and keep in mind that I am a random internet user, but most surgeons in sleep medicine seem to apply the wrong surgeries. Of course forums and similar platforms are loaded with response bias, and I try to factor that in, but in my many lengthy conversations with patients across the globe, my personal experience, my following of the field / literature, many surgeons are stuck in the past with outdated protocols. The more reputable ones have moved on to primarily hard-tissue surgeries, but of course there are exceptions to everything, and each patient comes with their own set of individual needs and surgical potentialities.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply CPAPfriend. My surgery included ablation of lingual tissue that has hypertrophied. It did sound very promising at the time. But apparently, that wasn't the main problem. 

I'll try going for a fixed pressure for a while. Should I also add EPR?

On another note, just woke up with the worst CPAP results yet. My AHI should be actually lower without the CPAP. Any thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
I just watched a recording of my last sleep and seems that the first half of the night I was mostly on my back, with the pillow at a high angle. My head was moving constantly from one side to another, readjusting to get some air.

At the other half of the night I was mostly sleeping on my stomach which seems to improve my AHI a lot.

I have a SCC I can try but not sure it will hold through the night. Maybe sleeping without a pillow might help? I’m open to suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 20 1,732 10-01-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New CPAP user, looking for help understanding OSCAR Ksquared716 3 239 09-19-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  anyone had turbinate reduction surgery and not experience Empty Nose Syndrome? sleepingbetterinFl 4 299 09-08-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Sleep Apnea CPAP/OSCAR/OSA/CA trish1028 1 225 09-08-2024, 03:36 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Cervical Surgery needs new mask DEJONES1954 4 224 09-07-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: DEJONES1954
  [Pressure] Help me understand Oscar report and optimize CPAP therapy Oliverwoods 1 203 09-07-2024, 03:07 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New to CPAP and OSCAR BSA25 3 236 09-06-2024, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.