Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can I not clean my machine?
Gross 
Can I not clean my machine?
I don't use the water tank at all. My biological knowledge says bacteria needs water and food to live. So I think no harmful things grow in my machine. There will be some dust I think. I am lazy.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can I not clean my machine?
I wish I could show you a photo of the inside of my husband's CPAP tubing after he went years without ever cleaning it! He complained it was smelling bad, and I took a close look and nearly vomited. I made him throw that tube away and order a new one.

He doesn't use the water. This was a weird yellow-brown accumulation in all the coils. There is always some moisture in human breath, not to mention particles shedding from the mouth, airway and lungs. So that was certainly enough to feed a colony of bacteria.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cleaning the inside of a CPAP machine and cleaning the inside of a hose is two different concerns. I don't believe that the manufacturers of these machines intended for the customers to take them apart to be cleaned. 

Now, the hoses used with them are a disposable item. Use of water or not, they need to be discarded when it's necessary. Just like the masks and such.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I use the water tank, it starts to smell bad in about three to five days. I think it might be because my hands aren't clean or there's some oil on them, which could also introduce bacteria when I fill the tank. The moisture then helps bacteria grow, making the tank smell. But now that I don't use the water tank anymore, I haven't noticed any bad smells for at least 2 weeks, haha.

For the tube, I just rinse it with soapy water and then with running water. I can’t reach the inside of the tube properly though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the humidifier on my machine. The left over water from the night's use, gets dumped and then the water chamber is wiped dry with a paper towel and allowed to fully air dry before being used the next night. 

I've never had any smell coming from the water chamber. Every once in a while, I'll see some mineral deposit build-up. I then use some white vinegar and it removes 100% of the build-up. The vinegar also kills any germs or bacteria. 

I have at least 10-12 hoses on hand. I get sent new ones long before I decide to replace one. I have at least 8 or 9 water chambers on hand as well. I'm still using the one that came with my machine that I received in mid Sept. of 2018. It's still as good as new and looks it. 

When I do wash a hose, it gets completely submerged in hot water with dish soap. I have a long brush that is quite efficient at cleaning the inside of the hose. I usually let it soak for about 30 minutes or so. It then gets rinsed in hot running water and hung to dry. 

I'm on my 3rd hose since Sept. 2018.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend that you use the humidifier with some water in it (even at setting of 0 humidity). It serves as an absorber of all things that come out of your mouth when you exhale.

Think of one single exhale. You are pumping out your tidal volume. Let's say 500ml (it goes to > 1000ml when you take a breath and exhale after turning over in your bed). The 6ft tube of 15mm diameter can only accomodate ~130ml max of that. If your mask has a leak rate of 15 Liter per minute, it can accommodate ~250ml of that. Now there is fresh air being pumped in as well. So these are max values for mask leak and pipe. Actual number may be half of that. So it is inevitable that some of that exhale will wash into the motor. And that has water vapour, saliva, alcohol, tobacco, food particles and acid reflux particles in it. So lots of organic matter for bacteria/viruses to grow.

So use your humidifier. Throw its water every morning. And clean it at least once a month with soap/vinegar.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always used filters on my ventilators.  The get dirty and turn grey/black fairly quickly.  Red (Crimson Nape) has stated that using filters scan alter and skew OSCAR data because it will reduce airflow somewhat though.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn’t think any exhaled air could travel through a 6’ hose with constant positive pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2024, 11:51 AM)Nightynite Wrote: I wouldn’t think any exhaled air could travel through a 6’ hose with constant positive pressure.

My thoughts as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since moisture and air does travel the length of the hose it’s necessary to clean it occasionally which I’m terrible at. But when I do, I just take 50% mixture of white vinegar and water and fill the hose up , snap the two ends together and lay it on a flat surface with the coupled ends raised, cause it will leak. Let it sit a while and then flush with tap water. ( heated hose). I haven’t ever Seen any discoloration or slimy stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to clean your Resmed AutoSet 10 heated hose? Hmm888 9 8,329 08-30-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 295 276,848 08-29-2024, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Kamryn
  [CPAP] How to clean mask with magnets Gingeri12 2 282 06-28-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 7 834 04-16-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 887 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,914 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Suggestions on how to clean a Resmed S10 motor? texquad 5 1,432 09-01-2023, 02:24 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.