Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can someone help explain what is happening between 4.30am and 5,30 am?
Can someone help explain what is happening between 4.30am and 5,30 am?
From about 4.30 am for an hour, there appear to be a lot of clear airway events. Can anyone suggest why? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can someone help explain what is happening between 4.30am and 5,30 am?
Hi Yardam,

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's your position?  Perhaps you are sleeping supine?

I'm having similar issues but with obstructive apneas/hypopneas.  Yours appear to be central apneas.  Were you diagnosed with central apneas?  I don't know if central apneas can occur due to position like obstructive apneas.

Positional apneas usually show multiple events clustered together like your chart.  See my chart from earlier today:

Today's chart supine (wedge pillow used)

My chart the other day supine (same wedge pillow):

I think my pressure needs to be increased, or I need to stay off my back. However, due to inconsistency I haven't tried pressure increase yet.

I'm not sure if that would be the same for you with central apneas.

I'm sure someone else on the forum can help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that,

I've always slept on my side but it could be I roll onto my back. It doesn't happen every night but when it does, it's always at the same time.
As for pressure, if I increase it, I just swallow air unfortunately.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome   Smile
Did you have a lot of CAs in your sleep study?  If you have a copy of your sleep study it would be good if you could post it.  It would help us determine some things.  If there were NOT a lot of CAs during your sleep study that would mean yours are treatment-emergent and will lessen as time passes.

Also, your therapy would be better if you raised your minimum pressure a bit. Set it at 6 or 7. This won't change your upper-pressure limit, so I don't think you will have more aerophagia. If you do, lower it by one digit for the next night.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you,

My sleep study was 2-3 years ago, as far as I recall there wasn't a lot of CA. If it is emergent and will lessen over time, how much time does it usually take?

I will try raising the minimum pressure, thanks for that tip.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty much everything I see in this chart is central clusters. It is not positional apnea as there is no apparent obstruction or flow limitation. I'd like to see a minimum pressure of 6.0 and reduce EPR to setting 1. I think leaks are an issue here. If the CA pattern remains consistent, you're going to need a backup rate like ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a consistent mask leak the entire time you have the massive CA cluster also.  Leaks from the mask can let CO2 escape and might contribute to CA's.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  higher the EPAP higher the AHI - can someone explain? bhavintu79 1 348 05-12-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can anyone explain my sleep data? Arale 2 347 05-02-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  30 second apnea with no event recorded - please explain tcinoz 0 315 04-08-2024, 03:47 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  trialing masks - pressure requirements, What's happening? Wondering2 14 1,188 11-15-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Wondering2
  Please explain airsense term on clinical settings rebean 2 657 08-11-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: rebean
  [Diagnosis] Is this indicative of most events happening during REM? | What is a respiratory event Dire 4 782 08-08-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Dire
  [Treatment] Treatment-emergent CSA happening 1 year after being on BIPAP-ST? Jeads95 5 961 06-12-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.