Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Completely new, and in panic mode
RE: Completely new, and in panic mode
Just wanted to say: I can relate to some of your mental issues to a certain degree, so I do hope you are able to tame those issues to the best of your ability.

That said: You may want to try reframing the way you look at things - Instead of focusing on your numbers and the severity, maybe just try to be happy that you're finally on the path to finding a solution. I can tell you that getting a cpap is one of the best things that has ever happened to me, because you really don't understand how good it is to actually sleep well until you finally get your apnea treated.

So, for what it's worth: I really think you'll find it an amazing improvement on your life when you start using it. The amount of sleep we get and the quality of that sleep matters in sooo many aspects of life that I'd imagine you'll feel great once you get going with it.

Hopefully that helps you be a bit less anxious about it, because it really is a great thing to finally happen when you can start to have that kind of a problem taken care of.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset would be my top recommendation. Tried and true.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2024, 07:46 PM)POOKISTAN Wrote: Just wanted to say: I can relate to some of your mental issues to a certain degree, so I do hope you are able to tame those issues to the best of your ability.

That said: You may want to try reframing the way you look at things - Instead of focusing on your numbers and the severity, maybe just try to be happy that you're finally on the path to finding a solution. I can tell you that getting a cpap is one of the best things that has ever happened to me, because you really don't understand how good it is to actually sleep well until you finally get your apnea treated.

So, for what it's worth: I really think you'll find it an amazing improvement on your life when you start using it. The amount of sleep we get and the quality of that sleep matters in sooo many aspects of life that I'd imagine you'll feel great once you get going with it.

Hopefully that helps you be a bit less anxious about it, because it really is a great thing to finally happen when you can start to have that kind of a problem taken care of.

Yes, agree with all you say. The main issue is, of course, worrying about the past (that you can´t affect), scared about the future (so hard to take action and affect), and just getting "paralyzed" in the present. I have a strong tendency to have a very squede view on thing to be more complicated, scary etc. before hand, but the responses on this forum, including yours, have really been very meaningful. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2024, 11:40 AM)Dormeo Wrote: The ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset would be my top recommendation.  Tried and true.

Interesting, having worked in tech (and having some engineering degrees), i most definitely agree with your "tried and true" thing. I have absolutely no clue how things work in my country, but we shall se, but based on the national online outlets, ResMed brand seem to be dominating, so hopefully i get the 10, or possibly the 11. When i see how things work, if it is not possible to get something good, i will buy one myself, and was actually thinking of the exact model you suggest, so all good. I guess the big thing then is the mask adventure, but based on one of the bigger CPAP youtubers (Lanky something), sleep tech, which happens to have extremely identical facial anatomical features, and other factors, and all the masks he have reviewed, i'm pretty sure a hybrid mask, instead of something going over nose (avid scuba diver back in the day, my giant nose never worked with regular diving masks, big problem, with leakage with that, ironically). But, i realise need to be open minded, try try try etc. Something like F30I, with the cushing, is what i feel could be tried, but let's see what they say, what mask options they have etc. Machine, with data/OSCAR capability seems to be key, and one way or another that will happen. Have no idea the waiting time to get the appointment, but will, most definitely, post like crazy here then, to get things going, very adamant of compliance, realize the need, benefits etc. Thanks so much for your tip!
Post Reply Post Reply
Finally, yesterday, i got mask fitting, a resmed 11 with card etc. Unfortunately, it all went very, and i mean very bad (long story). In a rush three masks was tested, the first a tiny over the nose one (with my huge nose) that the person tightened insanely hard (the plastic dug into my nose) and even without any pressure, i could not exhale through my nose, at all, and when the pressure was cranked up, well, my first "taste" of CPAP, was, terrifyingly bad. Next a bigger version, seemed to fit O.K, but, even with pressure 4 it felt as if i could not push any air out via my nose, not just resistance, and i have no idea how to differentiate between "normal" resistance, you should expect to get accustomed to, or what that was (by them i just started fearing not being able to even start trying this). Then, a full mask with nose cradle, same problem, i have huge nose and even bigger nostrils, twice the area of the tiny two holes, so even with no pressure i feel severe flow restriction, breading out via mouth in this worked, but I could not imagine that resistance, even at like 5-6. By now i was i panic mode, all this took max 10 min, full rush, time running out so the nurse frantically put on a full face mask (fully over nose and mouth). I think mask test up to 10, and I could never expect this feeling of only air in, nothing out. She told me time is up, go home, auto 5-15, all will magically work out, then new appointment... in two month (where ironically i have to bring the entire machine, despite fully SD card, mobile etc.). I told her i fear i have no clue on how tight mask should fit (but i'm quite certain she fastened the ridiculously tight), but my absolutely worst horror, that really makes me confused, scared not to be able to grind through and get used to things etc, that i really hope someone could give some clarity to, is:

The feeling or air flowing into my airways via the nose, even at lower pressure, feelt, well strange and not good, but i guess tolerable and possible to get used to, but, for my life, i can not get how, especially when at sleep, your body can push any air out via the nose, against pressure. I got sent home with the full mask but they actually tried starting with nose variant, but i wonder if cradle is not working that well with my nose, i never got to try pillow. I wonder if any of you have any tips/ideas of type of nose mask, and resistance trying to breathe out in it, i have no sense of "normal" initial discomfort, or something really wrong.

I thought the steps would be this mask fitting, getting mashine, then according to your advice start of, Oscar, the normal procedure, in this forum, but now i'm just in some type of shock and scared, not have gotten any relevant info from the nurse (no "sleep doctors here" just rushed nurses), no possibility for any follow up just in two month. I guess the good new is I got a good, Oscar compatible machine. 

If anyone could explain, try to illustrate, how to understand this resistance thing, my experience so far is so confusing, i expected resistance and strange feeling, but no this almost impossible to breath out through nose. I don't want to give up, at all, but stumped right now, but if i get tips on next step here, the dream would be to get started, get oscar etc, and start the journey here (and keep the posts shorter). Also, they had never heard of shin straps or collar use, when i asked how to prevent mouth leaks, but all these thing i can find here, i just feel like i´m stumbling on even step before start, which i did not expect. if you just put the mask to your face, nasal mask, with no hose, pressure etc. should you feel any resistance ? Is there any way to test out, with a nose pillow mask, if the mask "works" is relation to resistance blowing air out from nose with pressure ?

Sorry for long post, just i a terrible mental state, which impact my ability to be short and concise right now. Hopefully i will process this fiasco and get back in a more focused form soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
What an awful visit to the clinic, and what an awful introduction to CPAP. I'm so sorry.

What is the brand and model of the FF mask you now have? Do you know the brands and models of either of the other two masks you tried?

Do you know whether your current machine settings include any EPR?

Do you normally breathe through your nose during the day? While you sleep (if you know)? Does your nose tend to get stuffy (allergies maybe)? Let us know so we can figure out the best way to help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply. The good news is that i got a brand new Resmed 11, with SD card and everything. I have no idea what the two variants of over the nose nose masks was, but i suspect same brand as the full mask i got thrown at me on my way out (Fisher & Paykel, Vitera L). I also have a Resmed F30i. It seems they want to start with nose mask, and i do think i can breath pretty well through my nose in daytime, but i guess due to heavy weight, very poor side sleeping set up (lots of positional issues i guess), some dust mite allergies (and, embassingly last couple of year very poor tidying up etc.) i feel i go from breathing well through nose on side, but then i wake up clogged, dry mouth etc. so im sure i have mixed heavy mouth breathing with tons of apneas, for about 30 years or so.

The only mask type i didn't get to test was a pillow nasal mask, but i read in the forum some seem to have problem with exhale resistance tec, but ... maybe i will get one of those also. i guess i just have to set things up, try awake, with the settings correct, print Oscar charts etc. for more specific help. It was just a real chock that i felt i could barely get any air out through nose (but flowed in O.K, that was just uncomfortable but more getting used to thing i guess). It´s so very hard to get a grasp of what is "normal" resistance due to inexperience, or outright nose problems/mask wrong etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
They just put me on 5 - 15 pressure, but didn't mind me tinkering with the advanced settings so ERP and all the rest I will fix, then upload charts so you guys can help. Just feels like i have stumbled already before the starting line a bit, but maybe the mask testing procedure, the nurse just feverishly pressed some buttons, i have no idea how much, fast, what settings really, but i was choked at the resistance and feeling of only breeding in, not out at all, at 4 pressure. don't you get CO2 accumulation/problems with this ?
Post Reply Post Reply
If I were you I would right now raise your starting pressure to 7 and set EPR at 3.  These two things will help your therapy and comfort.  Give it time and stick with it.  Lots of us can help you dial in your therapy to make it effective and comfortable.  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Exactly the plan, absolutely. They had me at 4 but after i argued, they though 6 was fina as start so 7 and 3 seems to be great start. I surely hope the resistance will feel a bit more possible (i get it will feel strange, getting use to etc.). How should i go about mask type ? I didn't get any guidance at the place, they just said we try nose first, and i assume over nose. When i reacted to not breathing, they just tested  the full mask, for no more than 10 seconds, meeting over, goodbye ;-). I figure it seems worth trying some nose pillow thing, and see if mouth leaking is an issue. I will need collar and/chin strap thing (i will order the recommended hat like thing, but collar is a problem, i have a huge neck, so some tinkering needed) that i am sure of, i have a lot of neck rucking and open mouth now, but i seem to be more of a nose breather in daytime at least.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  S-mode ovmeadows 4 235 09-19-2024, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  MODE Question Big Guy 13 613 07-13-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset - Failure Mode? mcman56 3 369 07-09-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Resmed Aircurve 10 S mode to Vauto ischua 5 575 06-23-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Wrong machine? AirCurve 11 - can it do S/T mode? timmytoo 9 697 05-26-2024, 10:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 384 04-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 506 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.