Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Confused about CA's
RE: Confused about CA's
You understand that a cervical collar will have no effect on CAs, correct?
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
Your charts confirm that positional apnea is an issue for you and that a soft cervical collar should do wonders. The other thing is that your flow limits are also very high with a 95% flow limit of .34 to .48. This is an index of upper airway resistance, and we like to see that below 0.10 to minimize respiratory effort related arousals. As PeachLove above suggested, we treat flow limits with exhale pressure relief (EPR), but the setting only goes to 3, so set EPR full-time at setting 3. This will provide 3-cm of pressure relief during exhale, just like a bilevel. Another way to look at it is, it provides 3-cm of pressure support during inhale to help you overcome the airway resistance. Both the soft cervical collar and EPR are important to improving your therapy. Without the collar the lower pressure with EPR will increase OA events, but with the collar, you will not only tolerate the EPR, it will be much more comfortable and you will sleep better. A final note, your CA events are likely incomplete obstructive apnea. With very high flow limitation we see an open airway as the "victim" attempts to get a breath, but things are so restricted it shows up as an open-airway or clear airway apnea (CA). This is not neurological or even CPAP therapy onset, but an artifact of how the machine detects the type of apnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that Pizza guy was on to something. Although EPR is limited to 3 cmH2O, Julia63 is already on EPR 3. However that AirCurve 10 Vauto is capable of Pressure Support. Therefore by changing mode to VPAPauto would she be able to utilize PS 4,  EPAP Min 12, IPAP Max 18. Let it run for a day or two and see what that brings?  Get some zoomed in views and then tweek and tune from there?

I do agree a SCC is a needed addition to therapy, as well as a low loft pillow.

Please let me know if this is a viable solution.

I am still new to this ResMed world of wonders.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused about Events? mikebox 9 342 07-27-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  confused and need help nosleepgood 4 249 07-24-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: nosleepgood
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 15 1,728 05-04-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Confused and frustrated - question about F&P Evora NewlyDiagnosed 12 976 04-20-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  [CPAP] New to cpap, lost and confused Sophia 4 381 04-08-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 460 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 584 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.