Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UARS - New User - Would Love Some Advice
UARS - New User - Would Love Some Advice

Hi everyone,

Looking forward to learning more and getting better sleep!

Some context....

I'm 25 years old... 6 foot, 190 lbs.

Dust mite allergies, which I use flunisolide nasal spray to clear up, as well as a Navage before bed.

I have a slightly deviated septum as well as enlarged turbinates according to my ENT.

Sleeping on my side has helped, sleeping on my back always has me wake up in the middle of the night.

I have had one good nights sleep without a machine in the last 4 years... the one night I stayed on my side in the same position all night and when my sinuses were fully clear.

But every other day I have woken up feeling like absolute death, with a lot of nocturia, which i know sleep docs say shows that deeper sleep issues have not be resolved.

I tried a regular cpap, which did not help. 

I have just recieved a bipap machine and attached the data from my first night, as well as the data from my sleep study as well.

As you can see I have low amount of AHI, but RDIs. thus the UARS diagnosis.

I'm interested in what the ideal bipap settings would be for my situation.

I'd also like to know your thoughts overall, does it make sense for me based on my data to be tired as I am?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UARS - New User - Would Love Some Advice
Overall things look good. Set your trigger to high, which should help with the remaining CA’s.

You have some leaks to keep an eye on going forward. If you cannot stop them consider trying a soft cervical collar or some mouth tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
Would you mind posting a screenshot of a zoom in from 2:45-3:15a? I'd like to get a better look at those spikes. How did you feel after sleeping this night?

Also, your flow rate looks fuzzier than I'd like to see it which suggests nasal congestion / blockage - are you going to sleep with zero resistance in your breathing through your nose? Have you considered investing in a quality air purifier for your room given the dust mite allergy?

Agree w/ PLAP that you should adjust trigger sensitivity. Your results are great but I have a feeling you may benefit from experimenting with more pressure support. Also, try to get to bed before 11p if at all possible, much higher quality of sleep.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revie...-purifier/
Post Reply Post Reply
You can try changing the trigger setting, though I think it's likely those CAs are occurring as the result of brief arousals. You can try zooming in on the CAs to see if they are preceded by breathing that is deeper and messier-looking than regular asleep breathing.

But to me what is striking about your chart is how little time you're spending on your machine. Is that your total time in bed, or did you do some sleeping without your mask? If that's your total time on the machine, and it's typical for you, for heaven's sake get more sleep! Most people need at least 7 hours of actual sleep, and many need 8. Even if you fall asleep quickly, you should be on your machine for at least 7.5 hours every night.

And what would definitely be best is for you to go to bed and get up at the same time every day. It can be hard to change your sleep habits. For me this would have been hardest when I was in my 20s. So I have a lot of sympathy there. But feeling "like death" every day would be a powerful motivator.

About the nocturia: I assume you've had your prostate checked? And do you restrict liquids for at least 4 hours before bedtime?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS: What are your ODI 4 % numbers with good/bad bi-level therapy? THEVGE 3 186 10-14-2024, 03:15 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 33 5,226 10-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: SenatorBirch
  CA events - Advice lukewpc 5 312 09-30-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: lukewpc
  Uars/need help please Jlcdsc 1 149 09-29-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [Pressure] Recently diagnosed with UARS and prescribed Bilevel. Need help with settings. cloudwalker 7 647 09-29-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Jlcdsc
  [Treatment] New user looking for tuning, tips, and advice cjt324 3 231 09-28-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Bilevel self-titration for UARS ChickenTenders 11 837 09-26-2024, 12:33 PM
Last Post: ChickenTenders

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.