Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] F&P full face mask flap question
F&P full face mask flap question
Putting aside the combination rainout and dry mouth at the same time (for now), I decided to switch to a full face mask (I had been using a nostril mask for a number of years.

I tried two F&P full masks.  An Evora Full (got from the approved vendor), and a Vitera (got on Amazon).  They have flaps in the elbows that connect the the hose to the CPAP system (Resmed 10, 10.4 pressure).  The flaps stay open, they do not close between breaths.  Aren't they supposed to close between breaths?

For the time being, back on the nostril mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F&P full face mask flap question
No, they only close when pressure is removed to keep you from rebreathing expelled air.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sent email to Customer.CareUSA@fphcare.com, and had asked them the same question.  Their response was "Yes, what you described sounds like a defect as the flaps should be closing and opening when breathing."

So, Who should I believe?
Post Reply Post Reply
I cannot explain their answer. This is what I have been taught and observed…
  • No CPAP mask has exhaust valves, but they do have exhaust vents.
  • You may be talking about anti-asphyxia valves, which stay closed when the machine is running. 
  • The anti-asphyxia valves open and provide fresh air when the machine is no longer running.
  • Breathed air is expelled through the exhaust vents which have no valves to close them.
I have the same mask and the anti-asphyxia valves remain open whilst under pressure. When pressure is removed they close.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not used this site for a number of years and see that my profile information (CPAP machine, mask) are not current.  How to change?  We are not using the same equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2024, 02:27 PM)louwho Wrote: I have not used this site for a number of years and see that my profile information (CPAP machine, mask) are not current.  How to change?  We are not using the same equipment.

UserCP top right >> Edit profile
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Evora FFM and yes there is a flap in the elbow which opens and closes as you breathe.  I’ve read somewhere that its purpose is to prevent you from asphyxiating should power be lost.  When I cleaned my mask the first time, I didn’t realize until I went to bed later that night that my flap was stuck in the open position. A noisy gush of air immediately alerted me to a problem.  I had to use a tweezer to push the flap back into the close position.  Now I double check it after every wash ritual.   
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a link to a brief video I just made that shows the "flap" opening and closing with no pressure applied. Once the CPAP machine is started at around 00:20, the flap opens and does not move again until pressure is removed.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7ejsd6m3q...s1hzc&dl=0
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I want back to F&P customer care, and pointed them to the posting.  It took a couple  of weeks and repeat emails, but they finally responded...
--------------
It turns out I was wrong with my initial statement.  Please review the full explanation below:

“The Silicone flap in the Anti Asphyxiation Valve, is open when the air flows from the CPAP. There’s positive flow towards the patient, both during inhalation and exhalation, when the CPAP is on and the flap will be in open position. The exhaust holes in the mask are designed to minimize rebreathing of exhaled CO2 and will always have some flow going through, irrespective of whether the flap is open or closed.

Flap is designed to be in closed position when the machine is off and no flow going through to the patient. This flap in closed position enables patients to breathe through to the ambient, bypassing the CPAP tube, especially when the machine is off. IF the patient notices that the flap is stuck in the open position and not closing when the machine is off , they should stop using the mask and return it for investigation.”
-----------------

Kudos !

Not sure If I need to start another posting or not, but, moving on...

I have been on CPAP for a number of years, in particular on non-vented nostril masks.  That is where you use wax to seal the venting holes in the mask, and use a whisper swivel at the connection to the CPAP hose, for exhalation.  Dry mouth and a change of doctors and him wanting me to go to a vented mask is why I am here getting information.  A full face mask, with the pressure on the nose bridge really bothers me, so that is why I have tried the Evora mask.

I tried it again last night (for a short period), and it is just a sooo very different experience for me.  Staring with the air coming out on top, and being able to feeling it on my chest if the angle is correct, and, I can hear the CPAP machine basically recycle every time I breath in (I don't hear that with the non-vented nostril mask). Do others hear that, or is it related to the ResMed AirSense 10 only?

I really do hope that https://apnimed.com/ completes their work soon.  My doctor says that they will have a medicine out sometime this year that basically does with medicine what that Inspire implant does.  Probably a topic for  another posting.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Issues vs Nasal Pillows Issues FozzyDaBear 8 193 Yesterday, 03:58 PM
Last Post: FozzyDaBear
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 448 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Equipment] AirMini Mask question countrydirt 1 403 09-03-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Geezerbunny
  Throat and windpipe full every morning. John Leslie 5 211 08-28-2024, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Air Fit F20 Face Mask - Condensation Issue from Breath xirokx 21 564 08-25-2024, 08:50 AM
Last Post: xirokx
  Considering full face mask until I can fix my nasal breathing Ptee8899 11 624 08-25-2024, 08:13 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Full face mask and spare cushion recommendation faine 2 258 08-25-2024, 01:33 AM
Last Post: faine

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.