Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier?
How to stop rain out from external humidifier?
I have a Dreamstataion and the humidifier tank is to small and runs out every night. I bough a bigger tank, one of these things (https://www.amazon.com/HC150-Heated-Humi...B000RDQ84C). Instead of spending $200+ on the official heating pad, I sat it on a coffee mug warmer and it worked fine as a humidifier. 

the problem is since I can't connect a heated hose to the tank I get insane condensation and rain out in the tube and mask. I tried 2 of those hose snuggies and it didn't help at all. If there any way to prevent that or is this a failed experiment?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to stop rain out from external humidifier?
My suspicion is that the coffee mug warmer is too hot, and is heating the water far above the temperature an "official" humidifier operates at. This generates a much warmer, moister air that will certainly condense, even in an insulated tube. You need to find a thermostat to regulate the warmer to shut off at 90-95 degrees F, which is pretty much the upper end of operating conditions in a humidifier. Get a thermometer on the job and see what the water temperature is in that chamber with the mug warmer on.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't laugh too hard, but I think this might work... https://www.homebrewpal.com/essential-ac...e-control/ And you can upgrade your humidifier chamber to 1-gallon! Smile Also available on Amazon
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like Doc Google has a stand alone heated hose for CPAP, 3B ComfortLine by name. $45 for the kit which looks to have 1 hose and the power supply control.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2024, 02:10 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: My suspicion is that the coffee mug warmer is too hot, and is heating the water far above the temperature an "official" humidifier operates at. This generates a much warmer, moister air that will certainly condense, even in an insulated tube.  You need to find a thermostat to regulate the warmer to shut off at 90-95 degrees F, which is pretty much the upper end of operating conditions in a humidifier.  Get a thermometer on the job and see what the water temperature is in that chamber with the mug warmer on.

I initially thought the same thing but according to the user manual for the Phillips Humidifier (https://www.philips.com/c-dam/b2bhc/mast...manual.pdf) on page 19 it gives  max temp for the heater plate of 149 degrees. The coffee warmer has a digital thermostat that I set to the lowest setting, which is 130 degrees. So it's not even getting as hot as the built in heater plate. 

The kambucha wrap is a neat idea but the sides of the tank are plastic and it looks like that is designed to go on glass

I did find that externally powered heated hose and ordered it, it is on the way. I will report back if that solves the issue
Post Reply Post Reply
Certainly hope it helps.

I think you've given me a great idea when I get a therapy machine again. I'll do a one up, I'm using a coffee carafe as my humidifier tub. And yes that's with the coffee in it.

The new Mr. Coffee 12 cup CPAP humidifier. Get yours today.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before I started using heated hoses, I was able to limit rainout by elevating the first 1.5 feet of the 6 foot hose above the machine and the bed. This appears to let some of the condesated humidity to roll back into the machine instead of accumulating in the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
My machine is on the floor so there is more than that length of vertical drop. The problem is condensation in the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Issue Vako 11 274 08-31-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Vako
  11 days in and on my fifth day of non-stop headaches callisto9 10 443 08-27-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: callisto9
  [Equipment] ResMed heated humidifier tubing doesn't stay warm Dr.Bob 10 1,885 08-25-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Options to stop sleep apnea Timothy918 7 334 08-15-2024, 11:47 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Stop mouth leaks with a boil and bite mouthguard? ttrani01 5 323 08-10-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Stop me if you've heard this before. Looking for help updating BiPAP settings Cape67 0 171 07-29-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Cape67
  Rainout with no humidifier robulus 6 398 06-14-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: flanksinatra

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.