Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks!
Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks!
I am posting on behalf of my "more sleepy half" who has a hard time focusing when sleep isn't going well.

This summer, ResMed discontinued the Mirage Liberty hybrid mask. They recommended the AirFit 30 or AirFit 30i as a replacement, but neither of those are a true hybrid mask like the Mirage Liberty was. First try for a replacement has been the AirFit 30, but it has not been going so well. After 20 days of use, still getting a lot of leaks compared to the Mirage Liberty, which was the only well-fitting mask out of many years of CPAP (until they sadly discontinued it).

First image is with the old mask before switching (AHI 1.7 and minimal leaking), next two are from the past couple days with the AirFit 30 (AHI 8.5 and 4.6). I realize that 4.6 is below the threshold classified as "apnea", but the subjective sleep quality was poor because the leaking hinders deep sleep, so we really want to get this solved.

Nasal-only masks have not worked out, due to the combination of a deviated septum and allergies that get too bad some nights (have tried benedryl, claratin, allegra, sudafed, prescription med, afrin, sinus washes... so please don't say "just get rid of the congestion"). The old-style full face masks were so rough on the bridge of the nose, at least the AirFit 30 doesn't do that... but the seal is so weak compared to the Mirage.

What other mouth+nose masks are out there, that don't make sores on the bridge of your nose but offer a good seal?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks!
I couldnt have worded this better. The Mirage was a perfect mask that worked flawlessly and yet it was discontinued..doesn't make sense. My doctor suspects it was too costly to manufacture and the insurance companies were balking at covering the insured patients. The recommended replacement (Air Fit) not only leaked, it severly hurt the bridge of my nose and caused redness, swelling and pain. What are you using now? I have exhausted all my Ebay purchases of leftovers that people were selling.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an AirFit 30i which has the same nose cushion as the 30 - and it leaks.  It leaks mostly at the crease behind the ala or wing of my nose on both sides.  The form of my nose, the way it narrows past the nostrils, does not fit snugly with the 30i nose cushion.  I rarely have leaks anywhere else on the mask but around the sides of my nose.  And this is at max pressure of 14 so it's not leaking due to high pressure.

The way I have overcome this is to fill the creases with a small amount of cotton from a cotton ball - just enough to match the nose cushion form and not enough to press my nostril close.  It works almost every night.

I need a fatter nose. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I searched online for the Mirage Liberty and also found the "Innomed/Respcare" hybrid full face mask with pillows (top).  I don't know anything about the quality/durability of this mask though.  You can do a search for it if you think it might interest you.  I may go to a mask like one of these in the future now that I can breathe better out of my nose.  I hope this helps.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 32 3,067 10-16-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  [Equipment] Airfit F20 Headgear Washing Frequency? jefferyscott0 2 184 10-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Hybrid Mask and Deviated Septum brokensleep57 4 252 10-09-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: georgesadam
  Fighting Leaks and Other Challenges Brennie 8 274 10-08-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  Leaks with Brevida pillow mask Ticman1 13 4,152 10-07-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Are these leaks okay? bettyryan 4 294 10-06-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: R750R
  What was your experience fighting mouth leaks? PersonInNY 32 1,571 10-05-2024, 11:19 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.