Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed?
Much worse sleep with ResMed?
On the 7th of February I did an at home sleep study test and found out I had a pAHI of 21.5/hr, which wasn't great. I rented a DreamStation Auto CPAP and started to sleep really well: I had energy, I wouldn't wake up during the night, things were doing pretty well. After a month I bought a ResMed 10 Autosense and started using it, and over the past 10 days my sleep has felt worse. I've woken up throughout the night, and each day I've felt less and less energetic. I've kept the same mask and sleeping habits. Last night I slept for around 12 hours and I still feel pretty bad.

Looking at the OSCAR data, I don't really see any major differences. When I switched machines my AHI dropped from 4.3 to 1.5 overnight which I found a little strange. Looking at the flow graph I don't see anything really different either. I'm happy to post parts of it, I'm just not sure what I'm looking for.

Looking at graphs my minimum pressure is 4 and my maximum is around 20, on both machines. The biggest difference I see is that the ResMed seems a lot more aggressive with pressure increases. Events wise I don't see anything really correlated with hypoapneas outside a VS2 on the DreamStation.

The only other thing I can think of is that I do sleep in a somewhat noisy area and I stopped using earplugs due to pain. I'll resume using them if I can, but I'm not sure that's the problem at the moment.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Apologies for a brief thread/lack of introduction, I don't have the energy for it at the moment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Much worse sleep with ResMed?
I suggest you post your data for review to obtain better informed comments and suggestions. Without more detailed data, it is impossible to know what may going on and to suggest appropriate settings.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I really don't feel comfortable uploading 2 months of raw data, sorry.
Post Reply Post Reply
No one wants 2-months of data, just a typical daily details screenshot. The instructions for organizing and posting a screenshot attachment are in the links in my signature. If you really felt better on the Dreamstation, there are tons of them on the market that no one wants after the recall and discontinuation of the product line by Philips. Just try to get one with a re manufactured white foam or the DS 2.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you are using the default settings as typically set by DME or sleep docs. With a night or two of OSCAR data we can help fine-tune things.

A few screenshots of the main screen showing the entire night as described in the “Organise your OSCAR charts” link in my .sig explains how to do so. Two nights should be plenty to get the ball rolling…
Post Reply Post Reply
As others stated, post some data. Great advice is given here, but not by guessing.

Please don't upload 2 months of data... we only need to see a couple, daily charts. Smile

Ideally, you can post one chart from your DreamStation, and one from the AirSense 10 for comparison.

If you liked the way your DS worked, then set the AirSense 10 to Auto Mode and set the response to "soft" setting vs. the "standard" setting. This way, it won't be so aggressive.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for the misunderstanding, the only data I could think of was all the data I've collected.

Here's two days (I zoomed one in for slightly obvious reasons)

Thanks for your patience so far!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I would try this on the ResMed AutoSet, increase min pressure from 4 to 6. Edit EPR to 2, make sure that's full time. I can't see Ramp info, only that it was on, which I'd turn off. Recap min to 6, EPR 2 full time, no ramp. Alternate is min pressure 7, EPR 3.

The ResMed has a different therapy key response than the Respironics. This plus the Respironics is a slow responder will make them feel different.

Again in EPR, this setting guide will give EPR ability to work always:
Min press. 5 EPR 1 = exhale at 4 & up
Min press. 6 EPR 2 = exhale at 4 & up
Min press. 7 EPR 3 = exhale at 4 & up
The CPAP cannot physically reduce below 4.

Another factor on both, default settings like this will fall short in long-term successful therapy on either. Default is 4-20 pressure like these are set up with.

ResMed's EPR will be more useful to most users. EPR is Exhale Pressure Relief, and the number 1-3 stands for actual cmH2O of exhale reduction. Respironics flex is rather arbitrary in value for settings, like differing levels of suggested power. They're supposed to be comparable, but to the user it's very different in feel and result.

You could try similar with the Respironics. Not trying to be biased, but Respironics didn't feel as capable to me when I had one versus a ResMed. Caveat my needs are unique. Even so I don't like Respironics as well for their shenanigans.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Setting that Dave gave you is a good place to start. You also have some positional apnea. . You can see positional apnea where either H or Oa events are clustered together.

Getting rid of as many as you can will lower your AHI. Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes. You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway. Have you changed your sleep position? Sleeping on your back? Using more (or new) pillows? These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway. Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…

IF you can’t make a simple change like changing to a flatter pillow helps then you will need a collar. I have a link to collars in my signature at the bottom of the page. It shows people who are not wearing a collar and the SAME person wearing a collar. There is a huge difference between the two.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
So just as an update: I haven't implemented any changes to the machine as I couldn't convince myself that it was actually the machine being the problem. I have found my energy improving independently so it may just have been some kind of lifestyle issue.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feeling Worse After Successful CPAP Use kaizer989 10 522 09-16-2024, 05:58 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question [CPAP] My Sleep Apnea is Worse than Yours... plz Help!! memoryNada786 8 630 09-13-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: memoryNada786
  Sleep study- Very high AHI with Central Sleep Apnea and multiple hours of CSR. Help. JoshO71 2 325 08-27-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: JoshO71
  Resmed 10 Sleep report length and tracking question beetee 11 434 08-23-2024, 12:58 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Gross [Symptoms] Does Sleep Apnea Patients feel Worse in 2nd Half of the day? raulmalik 14 625 08-14-2024, 10:29 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Resmed ASV settings for mild sleep apnea and UARS? Gettingbetter33 9 1,138 07-31-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New To CPAP. Woke up A LOT. Felt Worse than before CPAP MrDezee 5 312 06-27-2024, 09:05 PM
Last Post: MrDezee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.