Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Excessive CA Events
RE: Excessive CA Events
(10-13-2023, 07:39 AM)JoeS01 Wrote: Hi gainerfull, tonight, 24 hours after I increased the minimum pressure to 7cm, I am experiencing very painful wind in the bowel regions. I forgot to mention I am 80 years old.
Should I persist with increased pressure at my age?

Hi Joe,

This is called aerophagia and it sounds like you're sensitive to moderate inspiratory pressures. I get it myself and it's very uncomfortable!

I think trying to strike a balance between APAP and EPR may prove too difficult in the near term considering the discomfort. Are you willing to try constant pressure mode at 7cmH20 with EPR off?
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks eok361, will do that over the next few days. I  am currently trying to get consistent results over 2 days, without much luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bad night last night, had the mask on for only 2 hours before taking it off. Not sure why, whether it was too hard to breathe, or whether I  thought it was about 6am. Have been to the local shops twice looking for glow in the dark small bedside clocks, but despite the ads, none of them actually glow.
Last night because of the wind problem, I  dialled the minimum pressure back to 6 cm before using the mask.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Set you min pressure to 6 and your max to 7

Leave your EPR on 3

And turn your ramp off or to 5 min.

We just cut off your higher pressures. That should help with your wind/aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Gideon, will give that a go tonight
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all, last night set the pressure range to (6,10) and dropped the ramp time from 45 min to 10 min, based on the time I  think I  take to get to sleep.
Had a comfortable night's sleep, but from the chart, lots of OAs, relatively speaking, lots more than recent results. They lasted from 10-16 seconds each..
The gaps where I stopped the device were for a toilet break about 1.20am,  and a very itchy nose on two occasions. There was a bit of manipulation to get the mask right in the very early stages.
Did not feel alert and refreshed on waking.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
When we see OA event is clusters of 2 or more events, we know the cause. https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea This can be resolved without increasing pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider. But I sleep on my back with a flat pillow, and I wear a cervical collar that prevents my chin dropping down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Already on top of the game. Looked positional.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Joe,

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place. The rock is, the amount of pressure needed to keep your airway open and the hard place is your comfort so you'll need to decide which you're willing to give up in order to find your optimal settings. Based upon your latest data you still need more pressure because EPR is subtractive, not additive and using EPR 3 full-time is not enough pressure to keep your airway open. So now, we're back where we started a couple pages ago.

Your cpap cannot keep your airway open with your current settings and you need more pressure but are sensitive to increased pressure.

The simplest path forward is to keep everything the same but turn off EPR. There are more complex paths that are potentially rewarding but it seems like you're going in a circle here.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clear Airway Events Only - New User Help pacc815 15 388 Yesterday, 11:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] Clear Airway, CSR events frolic 10 265 Yesterday, 08:35 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Unflagged events, treatment ineffective slatejetpack 4 119 09-05-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: slatejetpack
  Large Leak/UA Events since titration RainyDog 8 135 09-05-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Persistent CA events and fatigue with low-ish AHI ATT9791 11 557 08-28-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need help with increased Clear Airway events zood 0 150 08-26-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: zood
  [CPAP] Need help, crazy amount of flow limitations events on pressure increase testetst2212 6 327 08-25-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.