Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel
RE: Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel
Wanted to say thanks, Sleeprider. My mom probably needs to move to bi-level and this was very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
SLEEPRIDER, HOW DOES THIS SOUND FOR MY TALK WITH MY DOCTOR? I TRIED TO FOCUS MORE ON HOW I FEEL.

I would like a prescription for a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto machine.  My current CPAP machine is a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset.  It's a good machine for what it does, but I need better apnea treatment from a machine offering higher Pressure Support (PS) that can only be provided by a bi-level machine such as the AirCurve 10 Vauto.

Over the years I have found myself feeling air starved with my machine, so I have been bumping my pressure up until I am now using 14-20 pressure, and am bumping up against the 20, which is the highest my machine will go.  A bilevel goes up to 25, but with more PS I would probably not even need pressure as high as I presently need, resulting in more comfort and fewer air leaks.  I now fight daytime sleepiness and again fight insomnia even though I take Trazodone, and I learned recently that using a machine with higher levels of PS can help with all these issues, and blood pressure as well.  I need to have the quality and comfort of my sleep improved.  I believe it will improve my overall health.

I understand that the air I take in with each inhale (tidal volume) is lower than it should be when I sleep and can be relieved with more PS.  I range from 200 to 220, and it should be more like 300.

I have high flow limits (respiratory flow resistance) which my present machine cannot handle, but the additional PS provided by a bi-level machine should solve that.  A bi-level offers mechanical assistance to overcome airway restriction at the moment it is needed to produce normal airflow. So it's all about needing more pressure support.

The bi-level is more expensive but I believe my insurance will cover it if you will prescribe it.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds perfect. I should copy that for others.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks   Feel free to copy it.  Thanks again for all your help!!  You are a terrific coach and wonderfully generous with your time and energy!  I'll update once I've talked to my doctor.   Happy Eyes
Post Reply Post Reply
I-love-Apnea-Board   I WON!  I WON!  I visited my regular doctor today and he is writing me a prescription for a ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto!  He will fax in the prescription to the DME tomorrow, and things will be on their way.  Yippee!
Post Reply Post Reply
This is very good news. Here's hoping the new machine will have you feeling better soon.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply

Post back and let us know how everything is going.

Sleeprider scores again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations Deborah!  (And Sleeprider!)
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
So glad your persistence paid off!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm late to the celebration as usual. Congrats. Can't wait to get the party started. My avatar is already at the bar.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR 1, hight flow limit, but lots of CA throwaway1242 8 250 10-19-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Switched to full face mask last night. Flow limitation increased obstructedairway101 13 318 10-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: obstructedairway101
  [Symptoms] More Tired With Less Flow Limitations sowo123 3 242 10-10-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Advice on setting pressure limits esperanca 10 668 10-04-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Leaks and Flow Rates cyberfiche 4 328 10-02-2024, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Weird Flow Rate Pattern Started 3 days ago Dodies 2 166 09-30-2024, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Dodies
  is this flow limitation? shyguy 2 312 09-30-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: shyguy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.