Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Franko39 - Therapy Assistance
RE: Franko39 - Therapy Assistance
Hi everyone,

Thanks again for the helpful tips for a beginner. It's been a good 8 months of therapy and I think I've finally started to get a handle on things. My leak rates have lowered a lot (thanks to the F30i mask) and I'm able to sleep through the night with the CPAP on most nights. Most nights on therapy, I'm hitting an AHI score between 2-3.

In reviewing my OSCAR data, I'm seeing a trend that I am hitting the ceiling of my pressure range (6-10.6) for a 2-4 hours/night on average. Would you recommended increasing the max pressure as such?

I've heard mixed things about pushing too hard on the pressure due to CAs, etc. Since my AHI is pretty good as-is and I'm sleeping well, I'm not sure how necessary it is to further raise the max pressure to reduce the time spent where the machine is "capping out". TIA!
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations on your therapy.  The only 2 negatives that come to mind with increasing pressure is 1.  more CA's; and 2.  possibly more aerophagia.  But in almost every case, raising pressure improves therapy when hitting the max every night.  

You can experiment with a bit higher pressure(s).  You can always come back down in pressure if the increasing pressure experiment fails.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone,

Thank you again for your assistance. It's been nearly a full year since I started the CPAP journey, and I think I've gotten the hang of it, more or less. The last few months have been more fine-tuning and optimization. 

- I can sleep through the night with the mask on now (most nights anyway).
- Leaks are no longer a regular issue, since switching to the F30i mask (still happens occasionally, due to my tossing and turning).
- The last thing I was trying to resolve was the flow limitations. I've heard mixed things, including that my figures weren't too bad. I tried upping the pressure and upping EPR a bit. Not sure if it made a big difference, but I decided to just leave things be, as it sounds like my flow limits aren't terrible.

Overall, I think I may feel a difference now, on nights where I'm able to use the CPAP for a full night without interruption. Hard to say for sure - I've heard that it takes some time to see improvements, so I'll keep at it.

The only issue I now have is that my mouth tends to open a bit at night as I'm asleep, and the blast of air coming in from the CPAP makes my lips really, really dry. I've been waking up once or twice each night due to how dry my lips are - not sure if there's a good fix for this or not.

I've posted some recent OSCAR data representing my typical nights - any insights/comments would be appreciated!

Franko

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the update.  All 3 charts look ok IMO.  Around .07 95th percentile flow limitations.  If you are satisfied with this, then that is fine.

Here are some tips on reducing mask leaks:  
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2024, 04:18 PM)Jay51 Wrote: Thank you for the update.  All 3 charts look ok IMO.  Around .07 95th percentile flow limitations.  If you are satisfied with this, then that is fine.

Here are some tips on reducing mask leaks:  

Thanks for the feedback!

Would those flow limitations be something that you'd personally address, if you had those numbers with your own therapy?

The leaks aren't too worrisome for me, as they don't occur that frequently. I'd say a bigger concern is my dry lips (inner lips especially) due to the mask. This has been more of a problem lately, since I changed my nighttime mouth guard to a bulkier one that tends to push my lips open a bit more (didn't realize this was an issue until after I received the mouthguard from my dentist). Any suggestions or tips on dealing with the dryness of the lips?
Post Reply Post Reply
In regards to your .07 95th percentile flow limitations:  it should be up to you based on how you feel in the morning after sleeping.  The only major tweak I can see is trying EPR 2 full time vs. EPR 1 full time that you have now.  If it gets worse (more CA's and worse feeling in the morning after EPR 2 full time), then switch back to EPR 1 full time and you are probably optimized on this particular machine about as best as you can be IMO.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2024, 08:11 PM)Jay51 Wrote: In regards to your .07 95th percentile flow limitations:  it should be up to you based on how you feel in the morning after sleeping.  The only major tweak I can see is trying EPR 2 full time vs. EPR 1 full time that you have now.  If it gets worse (more CA's and worse feeling in the morning after EPR 2 full time), then switch back to EPR 1 full time and you are probably optimized on this particular machine about as best as you can be IMO.

Thanks for the suggestion - I did try something along these lines a couple months back, on similar advice from other board members re: the flow limitations. I went to EPR 3 full time and had a rough time - my AHI score shot up with a significant uptick in CAs, so I backed off to EPR 1 again.

I'll try a night at EPR 2 and see if see if this middle ground setting may be just right for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  app1nag - Therapy Assistance Thread app1nag 106 18,020 10-25-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Video [Pressure] fudo - CPAP Therapy Assistance fudo 15 379 10-22-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  assistance with analyzing cpap data jentlesoal 11 575 10-22-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  NoCaffAfter4 - Therapy assistance NoCaffAfter4 42 1,441 10-07-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Assistance with wife's CPAP issues Hammer641 6 287 09-01-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ftfu - Therapy Assistance ftfu 14 967 08-10-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: ftfu
  ASV assistance Vako 13 491 07-27-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Vako

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.