Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face mask slipping up over lips
Full face mask slipping up over lips
Hello all! I started using a cpap 2 weeks ago. It’s been a bumpy ride. I need a full mask because I sometimes breathe through my mouth when I’m asleep. They gave me a small. There was no opportunity to try different mask types or sizes. 

I have been having trouble with mask leakage, which I’ve largely resolved with a cpap pillow and hope to mitigate even further with mask liners (ordered, arriving today). However, what I can’t seem to fix is that the mask slips up over my face while I’m asleep and I wake up basically chewing on it. 

Is this something a soft cervical collar, chin strap, or mouth tape might help with? Or might this be happening because the mask is too small? It seems to fit ok otherwise, although I have to tighten the straps more than I like to get a good seal. Any other advice? TIA!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full face mask slipping up over lips
I do the same and use a soft cervical collar. I am not a fan of mouth tape with a full face mask as the reason for the FFM is you mouth breathe during the night. If you use mouth tape may as well use a nasal mask/pillow.

Watch some of the LankyLefty27 videos on YouTube discussing mask fitting and setup. I’ve found them rather helpful.

There is a possibility the small is too small. You can check it out yourself by printing out the sizing guide. I have attached it for you to print.

Attached Files
.pdf   simplus-sizing-guide-instructions-sui-620495-en.pdf (Size: 45.5 KB / Downloads: 2)
Post Reply Post Reply
That is helpful, thank you! I tried the sizing guide and it looks like I’m somewhere between small and medium, so it might be worth trying a medium if I can’t get comfortable with the small. I will try a soft cervical collar as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
BF, I have been measured for fitment before and it was really not helpful, I actually needed large sized cushions on my mask setups but was measured for medium, so please try all sizes regardless of what they measure you for Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] Chapped Lips anyone? mjk07j 4 92 Yesterday, 08:45 AM
Last Post: mjk07j
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 19 1,553 09-24-2024, 04:04 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Dreamwear nasal pillows vs. full face mask arnoblalam 1 167 09-22-2024, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  My dad's first full night data, is it concerning? (many CAs) EveryBreatheUTake 4 270 09-22-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: EveryBreatheUTake
  Full Face Mask Issues vs Nasal Pillows Issues FozzyDaBear 8 383 09-17-2024, 03:58 PM
Last Post: FozzyDaBear
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 618 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Throat and windpipe full every morning. John Leslie 5 246 08-28-2024, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.