Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help interpreting OSCAR results and improving AHI
Help interpreting OSCAR results and improving AHI
Hi, I have a Resmed AirCurve ASV and have been struggling to find optimal settings as well as having larger leak rates. I have attached my last 3 nights of OSCAR results. 

Anyone know how I may be able to improve?

Just joined and recently diagnosed!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help interpreting OSCAR results and improving AHI
I am not an AVS user but what I see are 2 things.  First yes you have mask leaks but your longest leaks are mouth leaks.  You can tell the difference between Mouth and Mask leaks - Mask leaks are sharp spikes while mouth leaks are long flat top periods.  Some people use full face masks others tape their mouth to stop leaks from the mouth.

Second - You have some positional Apnea.  They show up as Ua, Oa or H events grouped together.  No pressure changes can help with these, you have to stop getting into a position that blocks your airway.  It is also known as chin tucking when your chin drops down to your sternum cutting off the airway.  Sometimes it is as simple as not sleeping on your back or getting flatter pillows.  If simple changes like that don't work many people use collars.  I have a link to collars in my signature.  It shows people without collars and the same people with collars, HUGE difference.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Your lowest AHI was when you had the lower settings on the 28th. Then you increased the pressures. Those higher pressures are more of a default starting point. And all those leaks most probably are disturbing to the sleep. I would go back to the settings on the 28th, and start there. But a bigger issue is fighting those leaks. Concentrate on solving those, then you can adjust the pressures -- probably down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for your help. I learned that I cannot tolerate a high EPAP so I have kept my EPAP range at 4-6 and am slowly increasing my PS to help take care of my Hypopnea.

Additionally, I have been using a sleep collar which has drastically helped with the positional apneas.

I reached a new low AHI of 0.78 last night. THANK YOU!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] 3 months on CPAP, results have been mixed threeeyedsloth 19 575 Yesterday, 06:50 AM
Last Post: AshSF
  [Symptoms] Help with OSCAR Results - headaches and fatigue SleepyinCincy 15 383 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: AshSF
  New to all of this and would like help with my overnight oxygen test results Shannon80 1 108 10-16-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Second opinion on sleep study results? Trimochio 2 146 10-15-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: winterwaveforms
  Help with OSCAR Results malaise 5 170 10-12-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Alarming results on oscar Lucy84 22 968 10-12-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Understanding My Oscar Data - Improving Usage, Possible CSR brokenslinky 4 240 10-09-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.