Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with oscar & new mask
Help with oscar & new mask
Hello,

I have been using my CPAP for 3 weeks now and I am watching every youtube video on how to analyse my OSCAR data but I still feel like I don't know what I am looking at.

So far I had one amazing night, on the 21st of September, even though I still had an AHI of 4,8, I felt so fucking great the next morning I felt like I was about hang a live, laugh, love sign on my wall. But I was never able to replicate that night or even figure out through my OSCAR data what the hell went so right that night. 
I am comparing it to the other nights and I can't figure out what was different. Maybe you could help me?

I started off with the Resmed F20 full face mask but it was still leaking a lot and my nose started to hurt, so I got the Fisher & Paykel evora full face but after the first night the sides of my nose hurt so much that I took it off at night and threw it on the floor. The next morning I had clusters of vey painful whiteheads on boths sides of my nostrils, so now I am using the Resmed F20 again which is leaking a lot because I open my mouth and the air just flows out from underneath.

So my questions are:

1. Oscar - what exactly am I looking at and what am I trying to reduce and how?
2. what went right on the night of the 21st?
3. how can I make the F&P evora mask more comfortable or reduce leaks in the Redmed F20?

my machine settings are in german but I hope you can still read them, if not let me know and I will switch it to english and post the data again!

help is very much appreciated, thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with oscar & new mask
Welcome to the board.  I see 2 main things that could help your rest/sleep..

First you are having positional apnea.  You can see the positional apnea is where there are GROUPED O or H events.  You can't help with PA by using pressure, you must find out why you are having it and stop it.  You are known as chin tucking where your chin drops down to your sternum and cut off your own airway.  Sleeping on your back or sleeping on a high pillow can force your chin down and kink your airway.  If you can not stop it by just simple sleep position you may need a collar. There is a link to collars in my signature.  Please take a look at it.

The other is the very high flow limits.  Flow limits are apnea also they just are not long enough to be counted in the AHI.  We try to limit them or diminish Them by using EPR and raising the min enough to help.

I Would suggest the following settings. 

Min 8
EPR set to full time and EPR set to 3.

Please give it a try and post your nights sleep tomorrow..
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply! 
I ordered a chin strap for keeping my mouth closed, would that work too or do you recommend a collar?

I will the new adjustments you recommended, thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
My husband used a chin strap for years, but it did not help with his leaks. He now uses mouth tape.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello sleepingbetterinFl, welcome to the forum Smile

You please need to raise your maximum pressure to 13cm (you are hitting 11cm 99.5 percent of the time), and also raise minimum pressure to 10cm, do not turn EPR up to 3, set it at 1 please fulltime and turn ramp off (we can't see if you have EPR enabled or ramp), some of the folks here advocate for this too often and it hampers the ability of the machine to control apneas and hypopneas, and reras-which you have in spades.)

Your flow limits are related to your chin tucking so please sleep on your sides with a small or another flat pillow (one under your head) and one you can use to wedge between your chin/chest, this will help with arousals too, I don't see overlapping positional events in this chart (we need more than one night to determine this).

Regards

P

Try these pressure s
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Newbie to OSCAR - why mask leakage rate is so high thanh.oz 1 195 09-22-2024, 06:37 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Help w/ Oscar Data (recent mask switch) cpapillon 6 364 09-11-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 679 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  OSCAR newbie, just statrted snoring with mask on?? CanadianRob 5 339 08-29-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  First night with new mask. Check my OSCAR, please Schnova 3 312 08-22-2024, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 3,602 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Question Interpreting Mask Pressure Waveform in Oscar enjoysleep59 2 964 03-08-2023, 01:19 PM
Last Post: enjoysleep59

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.