Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed
RE: Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed
Keep the beard for now, there are some hairy headed dudes on here that will offer suggestions.

Perhaps if you raise you minimum pressure to 14 cmH2O it may limit the onset of Flow limits, thus limit the pressure excursions, your CA's we will have to keep an eye on.

After 9 months I am just recently overcoming Treatment-emergent central sleep apnea (TECSA), 

If you are in a rent to own program, can you change machines?

Will your insurance cover the cost?

To keep your pressures down, you may need "Pressure Support" instead of "EPR".

That entails a different machine.

But for now. sometimes we have to sleep with the machine have.

Keep us posted, with your Oscar results.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks UnicornRider. I'll try raising min pressure to 14 and see how it goes.

I think I could switch machines fairly easily if I do it in the next couple of weeks. ResMed offer a "sleep on it" 30 day return policy with minimal financial penalty. I just looked up the "PSV" machines. My goodness they are expensive. My insurance won't cover any of it. Fingers crossed I don't need one of those! Unsure

TECSA - I don't think that's something I want to look into and start stressing about at this point in time. Glad to hear you are recovering from it though Smile

I've been referred to a sleep disorders physician (I think he is a Pulmonologist). Not sure how long it will take to get an appointment though...
Post Reply Post Reply
I was thinking possibly a ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto, for you, it has several modes of operation and some special features that enable it to fine tune.

It has Pressure Support(PS) that enables greater than the 3 cmH2O differential that EPR is limited to.

PS sometimes reduces the overall pressured required to eliminate OA,H,and reduce Flow Limitations.

As for the TECSA. the Sleep Doctor informed me of it in advance of encountering it. It is a trade off, eliminate OAs. UAs. & Hs for CAs of shorter duration, knowing that as my body became accustomed to the therapy pressure the CAs would become fewer and finally disappear.  It kept my O2 saturation up, reduced the symptoms of headaches, fatigue, irritability. grouchiness all of those Misérables attributes I do not care for, It was worth it.

The Pulmonologist should have experience with patients who need specialized ventilators. They also can recommend breathing exercises to enhance a persons breathing effectiveness.

CPAP induced asthma, or shall I say enhanced. I previously had asthma, the higher pressures brought it out more. It is easily recognized and treated by a Pulmonologist. There again I was forewarned about this, so it was no surprise for me. 

By getting to know OSCAR and how my body was affected by seasonal allergies, respiratory illnesses and monitoring my SpO2, I am better able to tune my therapy to the changing requirements these events bring on. Life is sweeter.

Have you looked in to a Hybrid mask like the F&P Evora? I get really good leak performance, I have heard that for side sleepers and those who actively change position during the night it is well received. I also had good results with the ResMed AirFit P30i pillow mask. I do tape my mouth with all of the mask I have used. It reduces or eliminates leaks altogether.

Post back when you get some more OSCAR Reports.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Recently diagnosed with UARS and prescribed Bilevel. Need help with settings. cloudwalker 7 647 09-29-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Jlcdsc
  Just diagnosed need direction. wclement7 2 213 09-20-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  [Diagnosis] Diagnosed with mild OSA - Could this be UARS? roroboon 11 623 07-31-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] Recently Diagnosed, Just started treatment, looking for advice. ProlificProkaryote 15 867 06-24-2024, 02:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  39/Male - Diagnosed on 1/19/24 - Looking for Advice + Oscar Data JRuck504 8 349 06-21-2024, 10:09 PM
Last Post: JRuck504
  newly diagnosed, 3 weeks cpap. Help! Al y gath 4 348 05-14-2024, 07:34 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 1,464 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.