Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How Long To Feel Better When Starting CPAP Therapy
How Long To Feel Better When Starting CPAP Therapy
Hello All,

I'm a BiPAP user of many years. Pressure is 18/10. My machine was going bad (it was very old) so my AHI was 60 for several months, I later found out. Needless to say, I have been exhausted. I have new BiPAP that I started using last week. AHI is around 7 or 8. I feel worse than I did on old machine getting 60 AHI. I just found out from prescriber today that I was not supposed to be using VAuto mode, so today they changed it to Spontaneous. We'll see how things go starting tonight. I have used VAuto years back and it was ok.

I am HOPING that the reason for feeling so awful is 1) catching up on sleep debt, now that I have a functioning machine, 2) sleep cycle realignment, or maybe 3) VAuto was not sufficient.

I am curious to hear ANY thoughts/inputs anyone has regarding this. Does VAuto not do a sufficient job in providing the correct pressure? Does it simply take a while for body to adjust after having such awful sleep for so long?

Thank you!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How Long To Feel Better When Starting CPAP Therapy
I don't know why you feel so rotten, but I'm sorry that is the case.  If you download and use OSCAR, the charts you post will help us help you.  It's a free program created by one of the folks on this forum, and it does a wonderful job of reporting many things about each night's sleep that we can help you with.  Please use it. Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I sure do use OSCAR. I will be posting those stats tomorrow with new S mode, if I still feel like this.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello All,

Here is my OSCAR data for last night, 7/9. Currently, I can barely focus, think or keep my eyes open. When I walk, I feel like I'm drunk. Hopefully a big part of this is just my body adjusting to getting decent AHI numbers after having months of 60 AHI.

Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I have an additional question. One of the metrics on my sleep report on machine itself is I:E, which I assume to be IPAP to EPAP ratio. My number was 50. Is this good?
Post Reply Post Reply
You may wish to put your glasses on. There is no way that parameter is 50. It is a ratio and should display something like, "1:1.5".
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Couple of things. To begin with you have a lot of central apnea. With your machine we have found out using the trigger to high or very high helps most people a lot. I would set the trigger to very high. 

The other problem is you have some positional apnea. You can NOT use pressure to help. Usually it happens when your chin drops down to your sternum cutting off your own airway. It also is worse sleeping on your back. Try a flatter pillow that could help.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
It would help us read your Oscar charts more easily if you included only down to the very bottom of Flow Limits.  If we need to see other parts, we will ask for them. Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! Very helpful and very clear, much appreciated Stacey. I was not aware of how Trigger setting affects central apnea so I just now changed from medium to high and will increase to very high the next night depending. Appreciate that tip.

Question please, how can you tell I have positional apnea? I do sleep on my back as it's the only way I can sleep. As far as the pillow, months ago I was sleeping without one, I will try that again tonight.

Thank you very much!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  After 1 year break trying to get CPAP therapy to work again nandrew 3 81 10 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 2 389 Yesterday, 07:35 AM
Last Post: SeePak
Gross [Symptoms] Does Sleep Apnea Patients feel Worse in 2nd Half of the day? raulmalik 9 205 08-01-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: raulmalik
  Help….starting to feel tired again Internetstranger 9 214 07-31-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 74 3,903 07-28-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: apneavolt
  Long time user, Lost weight AHI going up. Nutshell3160 1 130 07-23-2024, 06:42 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New to cpap therapy, having trouble falling asleep Exuro89 17 581 07-22-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Exuro89

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.