Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How many years does a mask last?
How many years does a mask last?
I want to know if my mask's lifespan is too short.
I bought a Philips Dreamwear, the nasal cushion version, on February 2021. I enjoyed it very much because it doesn't leak as much as the previous mask.
The strap was the first to go. It fell apart after 2 years and I replaced it.
Now the left and right connections between the mask and the nasal cushion become too loose and easy to detach. My face is more oily compared to other people but I don't think the oiliness has changed all these years.
So now I have to wash the mask more often so it doesn't detach during use.
Is it normal to replace a mask after 3 years of use? Or too early?
FYI out of pocket, not covered by insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How many years does a mask last?
Masks don't last all that long. Of course, this varies with individuals and type of mask, and how it's cared for.

If you've gotten 3 years use from a mask, that's a pretty fair amount of time. Most insurances replace mask parts frequently, like the headgear every 6 months and nasal pillows/cushions monthly. Although, I realize this doesn't help you.

It's always good to keep a spare mask or parts on hand. Watch for sales and discounts.
Visit Amazon and EBay. Also the suppliers on the Supplier List at the top of the page often offer discounts.

I find that the headgear wears out first, starts to fray or stretch out too much.
Also, the nasal cushions will after a couple months start to get too soft, and you'll know this as they won't seal as easily, which can result in leaks.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2024, 06:19 AM)OpalRose Wrote: If you've gotten 3 years use from a mask, that's a pretty fair amount of time. Most insurances replace mask parts frequently, like the headgear every 6 months and nasal pillows/cushions monthly.

Thanks for the info. Looks like it's time for a replacement.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used my mask for 9 years now, replacing the head-gear after it stretches to far, or the cushions.
I also used a microfiber mask liner from (padacheek) that absorbs facial oils. this seems to reduce leakage and complaint from my noise sensitive spouse.
I have no intention on getting a new one.
LoudSnorer
Post Reply Post Reply
I get about 2-3 months on the cushions before they fall apart. For the hard shell and head gear, about a year. I do have spare clips for it as that is what is the first failure point.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was under a subscription with a sleep provider for cpap and they supplied a new mask , strap and cushion every year. I feel the straps are at there limit at around a year and loose there velcro.
the cushion is ok but gets a bit grotty after 6 months in my opinon and the hard shell seem to last forever.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got about 1-1/2 years before the thin part of the silicone ripped on my first face-piece (hybrid FFM, so not the same as your cushion mask.) Insurance was trying to push one every month.

The heavier silicone frame and hard plastic parts are still going nearly 3 years on. I seem to recall insurance trying to push one every 6 months.

The strap velcro attachment failed on the straps somewhere after 2 years but since I'm having a annoying time with the intersection of my insurance and DME (and self-paying to different DMEs instead) I've just taped them to the correct setting rather than spending way too much for what I consider to be a poorly made item from ResMed. I'll fabricate one from scratch before paying what they want for the thing. IIRC insurance should (mostly) pay for one strap a year, but...

I finally replaced the cheap plastic off-brand/no-brand hose after 2.5 years and some cat-bite-holes. Unfortunately the replacement isn't much quieter or more flexible, though it might be a little of each. I think that was 3 or 6 month replacement per the insurance.

Pretty sure I put reviews for those items in the appropriate section of the board. I never really went for the insurance-pushed intervals because I'd still be paying 20%, and one of my complaints with the local DME is that their prices somehow magically inflated 500% for most things so I would be paying them list price or over as "20%"
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  transitional/sleep onset apneas after years of PAP gaspsalot 3 161 Yesterday, 09:31 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 321 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Trying again after 10 years davidy 12 533 08-26-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Lots of flow limitations but good leak rate (restarting CPAP after 2 years off) sleepy331 10 497 08-14-2024, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Diagnosis] cpap since 2 years .tired jeje 11 512 07-15-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: jeje
  AHIs way up after years of successful use stephenu712 1 223 06-30-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Here are my results, struggling for 10+ years. UARS? Air007 7 490 06-26-2024, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.