Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is a travel CPAP machine worth it?
RE: Is a travel CPAP machine worth it?
A couple of online vendors are having a sale. I just checked the prices. I hadn't realised how expensive they were. They cost as much as a regular machine!
Post Reply Post Reply
Honestly, it depends on your circumstances.

It is correct that traveling here in the US, a CPAP is a "free" extra bag, does not count as a carryon or personal item. However, I found that not to always be the case while traveling internationally. I was stopped and told I had to consolidate my very clearly marked CPAP or check it as THREE items were not allowed! As soon as I got home, I ordered an AirMini, which I pack in a softside lunchbox, which easily fits in my purse/tote or backpack, whichever I happen to be traveling with that trip. No problems since. Hubby just carries his Airsense 10 in it's case, his only item. Each to his own.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another data point here for just taking along your usual CPAP. It's familiar, it works, it's portable, and in my experience it doesn't even go toward your luggage count.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suppose in the context of the tube and mask that has to be taken along, a slightly smaller machine is that much of a space/weight saving.
Post Reply Post Reply
...tubes, mask, and the power cord.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a dedicated extension cord in my carrying case, (not a power bar). I also have a small surge protector in the case. I keep a plastic bag for wipes.

I always thought a battery for long airline travel would be a good idea. I think there are now restrictions for batteries on planes.

I do not have a travel CPAP. Now with two members of family with CPAPs it gets crowded in the car. When traveling by car they do not go in the trunk because the trunk is either to hot or to cold.

Yes, the travel CPAPs are expensive. Some need adapters for full facemasks etc.

Many years ago the doctor gave me a form letter for airline travel. It has never left my carrying case.

Happy travels.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used my AirMini a lot over the years I was on CPAP, and really, really liked it (worked great, so easy to pack, and used a modified F-20 mask, which I use anyway).  However, my CPAP machines apparently taught my brain that breathing wasn't something to be concerned about, so now I'm using--and traveling with--a very nice ResMed ASV machine.  My beloved AirMinis (one used, & one backup never used) are now obsolete (for me).  
Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for suggesting carrying an extension cord. It wouldn't have occurred to me that hotel room wall plugs may not be conveniently close to the bed. And this is the first time I've travelled since going on COAP therapy.  (The kids tell me they don't care what type of machine I bring as long as I bring one. They won't go on holidays with me otherwise because I snore without the CPAP and we might have to share rooms.)
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a more complex machine the travel CPAP will not provide the proper therapy. I use the CPAP carrying case for my tablet, chargers, extension cord and travel documents. I have not had any problems with Southwest, Alaska, Delta, Hawaiian, Eva Air, Bangkok Air, China Southern, China Eastern, or Philippine airlines.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife and I both have machines and they fit in the same travel bag (along with all her meds). Also keep an extension cord and small power bar in the bottom of the bag. We both have Air*.* 10s and the stack nicely when wrapped in towels. Also use one of the hoses as additional padding. Never had to open them up for TSA either.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] I need help setting up my new travel CPAP 47chrisrodz 1 155 08-29-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [CPAP] (OSCAR) Results of first night with CPAP machine dnserror 1 155 08-29-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 295 275,993 08-29-2024, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Kamryn
  Do these settings make sense on an ASV and is it even worth trying a BiPAP? erouting 6 153 08-28-2024, 08:46 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Looking to buy my own CPAP machine mrjeswan 5 287 08-28-2024, 06:43 AM
Last Post: FLcracker
  (Canada) Air transat saying a CPAP machine is counted as a carry on deadboy 19 939 08-12-2024, 10:29 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Motorcycle bag for CPAP machine and Mask Hernla01 7 257 08-06-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.