Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just Woke from First Night - Can't Believe It
Just Woke from First Night - Can't Believe It
Hello! After being diagnosed with sleep apnea via Lofta (AHI 19.2, RDI 25.9), I ordered a ResMed AirSense 10 and N30i mask and configured it with some recommended settings from a mod over at /r/sleepapnea on Reddit. I woke up this morning (much earlier than I usually do) and was shocked at how... awake I felt. And also the fact that, for maybe the first time ever, I didn't feel the immediate need to go back to sleep! And I know for sure that I woke up multiple times during the night to fumble with my mask, but I believe I was able to keep it on all night.

If anyone might be able to help interpret my OSCAR results and let me know of any potential modifications to my pressure settings, I'd be deeply indebted to you. Thank you for taking the time to read!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just Woke from First Night - Can't Believe It
I think you would do a lot better with EPR (exhale pressure relief), which can remove the flow limitations and reduce the fluctuations in pressure. EPR needs to be turned on, full-time at setting 2 or 3. To compensate for the lower expiatory pressure I suggest a minimum pressure of 8.0 and no other changes. Flow limits will drop from the 95% average of 0.11 to less than half that, and your pressure variation will likely drop from 6.6 to nearly 13 (6 cm spread) to probably 8 to 10 (2-cm spread. Among other things, it should feel pretty good.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2024, 08:30 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think you would do a lot better with EPR (exhale pressure relief), which can remove the flow limitations and reduce the fluctuations in pressure.  EPR needs to be turned on, full-time at setting 2 or 3.  To compensate for the lower expiatory pressure I suggest a minimum pressure of 8.0 and no other changes.  Flow limits will drop from the 95% average of 0.11 to less than half that, and your pressure variation will likely drop from 6.6 to nearly 13 (6 cm spread) to probably 8 to 10 (2-cm spread.  Among other things, it should feel pretty good.

You're telling me it can get even better than how I already feel? Thanks so much for the input - I'm looking forward to trying it tonight with EPR on!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Good for you!  Smile  It's wonderful to find someone who feels a lot better after only one night.  Like you, I adjusted easily, but I didn't notice any difference in how I felt for some time, probably because I didn't feel bad before.  I just knew I needed to do it for my health.   Recently I had a night where I couldn't keep my mask on for a crazy, one-off reason, and I missed the therapy so much.  I felt miserable.  So I do know how you feel today.  It's a wonderful thing!
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best night in a while and still woke up sleepy slatejetpack 0 111 09-13-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: slatejetpack
  New To CPAP. Woke up A LOT. Felt Worse than before CPAP MrDezee 5 292 06-27-2024, 09:05 PM
Last Post: MrDezee
  Woke up choking, concerned about vents michael7 2 378 04-09-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: michael7
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 1,143 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 1,269 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,422 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP
  Woke up starving for air, but don't know why Phil487 21 1,795 10-05-2023, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.