Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak Help for my MIL
Leak Help for my MIL
        I got such phenomenal help here while I was starting and now I’m trying to help out my mother-in-law. Original AHI in the high 50s/low 60s; looking to fix the leak issue. Is she opening her mouth? She’s using Airfit N30i with Airsense 11 and this is day 4, 5, and 6. She’s feeling pretty good about it and (unlike me) is able to keep it on all night. Any tweaks I can make to help her while I’m here visiting? What do we do about the leaks? thank you so much in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak Help for my MIL
For a noob, she's doing quite well with the leaks. They can be finessed with practice and tips from this board. This takes a while. Sometimes, it requires a different mask, sometimes a different pillow, etc.

It looks like she needs some fine tuning with the settings. I'd be launching off the bed if my pressure suddenly shot up like that. Alternatively, my mask would fly off my face. Settings are not my baileywick, but no doubt someone will be along to address them soon.

See how your MIL's leaks look like responses to sudden rise in pressure (note the mountain peak look)? She has a veritable mountain range going during the night instead of a plateau with shorter ups and downs. This is a settings issue, I believe. And I predict she'll soon be cruising along that plateau, EZPZ.

You're a very nice DIL to be helping with this; you may have saved your MIL's life.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I’d definitely love to help her adjust her settings. I’m shocked she’s been able to keep it on all night with those leaks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m bumping this, since it looked like you could use settings follow up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bumping again, would love some help. Unfortunately now I’m no longer visiting her and I’m not sure if she’ll be able to adjust the more detailed settings herself but if I could give her a few things/key terms to mention to her doctor, maybe they can help adjust things on their end. I haven’t seen any of her recent numbers/data but haven’t heard of any issues (other than the leaks). Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure why this thread has gone off the radar! Settings help needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think she would benefit from raising the minimum pressure to 7 then 8cm. to try and avoid the "mountain peaks" and hopefully deal with the remaining OAs. raising the pressure slowly and giving myself a few days to get used to the change made it easier to deal with so i wouldn't go straight to 8cm. Could also make the leaks worse so would watch out for that.

Next time you get access to the machine and post data make sure to include the flow limit graph, it's important to see if her airway is still obstructed or not.

maybe you can find her a youtube video that explains how to change the settings, there are many and it's really not much harder than using a phone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Sudden Unexplained Increase in Leak Rate lygodia 9 405 07-22-2024, 08:45 PM
Last Post: lygodia
  Z2 increases pressure on leak; ResMed 11 doesn't SkySleep 7 218 07-13-2024, 11:52 PM
Last Post: SkySleep
  Flex Setting Adjustment and Leak Rate grzkar 1 162 07-13-2024, 10:54 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Everything's Great Except My Leak Rate! Well Marbled 1 6 251 07-09-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Well Marbled 1
Thumbsdown Annoying air venting (not mask leak) from F20 air touch Little Olive 6 359 07-03-2024, 04:12 AM
Last Post: Little Olive
  Large leak rate, what am I doing wrong? Jspiv 6 298 07-02-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  myAir website mask leak data danhi 4 236 06-30-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: danhi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.