Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Removal During Sleep
Mask Removal During Sleep
Lately, I've been removing my mask while I'm partially asleep.  I'll wake, disconnect my mask from the air tube, make sure my CPAP machine doesn't send a blast of air through the air tube, then fall asleep. Last night, I recorded slightly over an hour of CPAP machine use.  Other times it's varied up to three hours.  When I wake in the morning, I don't remember removing my mask.

Has anyone experienced this and trying to find a solution?  Better yet, has anyone found a solution to keeping your mask on?

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Removal During Sleep
(08-27-2018, 10:34 PM)DreamR Wrote: Lately, I've been removing my mask while I'm partially asleep.  I'll wake, disconnect my mask from the air tube, make sure my CPAP machine doesn't send a blast of air through the air tube, then fall asleep. Last night, I recorded slightly over an hour of CPAP machine use.  Other times it's varied up to three hours.  When I wake in the morning, I don't remember removing my mask.

Has anyone experienced this and trying to find a solution?  Better yet, has anyone found a solution to keeping your mask on?

Thanks in advance.

Do you turn physically turn off your machine or are you using the auto-off function? 

If you turn-off the auto-off feature, the noise of the airflow might be noisy enough to wake you and serve as a reminder to reconnect your mask. Unless you are going to the bathroom, you could duct tape the connection between the machine air hose and the mask inlet tube. 

If there is a pattern to the time when this occurs, you can set an alarm to wake you more fully. After responding to this annoyance, you might be conditioned to stop removing the hose to avoid the alarm.

Best of luck.

EDIT: SARCASTICDAVE94 HAD A GREAT IDEA -- TURN ON THE LEAK ALARM AND IT GOES OFF WHEN YOU PULL THE HOSE OFF.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I've heard of people wearing mittens to bed to prevent this.  Probably not a good solution in warm weather Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to deal with a similar mask removal syndrome for a few weeks (less of an issue progressively with each machine) or so at the beginning of using each of the 3 types of CPAP I have had. Why all 3 times? Due to the wrong machine, return, get new sleep study, get new machine type with many month delay bad dance thing with Wrongling Bros. Duck/DME/insurance. I had to fail CPAP and BPAP to get the ASV. Sorry if this is just TMI, but I had to deal with mask removal 3 separate times.

OK, now what did I learn? The first mask removal contributor for me was poor mask fit and adjustment. Once I had that in order, mask removal was less. The second contributor was I had to make a habit of putting the mask on immediately after the removal was noticed. Rinse repeat until problem was gone.
Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW: See my post on the mask removal issue if you want. If you dare to enter, you may find it by clicking HERE.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to srlevine1 for touching on this alarm. I have since turned that off once I got past the mask removal syndrome. FWIW: when I sleep, it takes a tank cannon to wake me, more or less. I never heard that alarm, so I cannot verify it helped me, but it could assist others such as the OP of this thread. Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
In my experience, there are two reasons why I take my mask off and not realize it. The first is that I come back from the bathroom, lie down and then out cold - never get the mask back on. The second is that I pull it off because I can't breathe.

The first just takes practice to put the mask on before getting back into bed. That is what worked.
The second involved several issues - too much or too little humidity. Allergies (improved by using brand name filter). With the P10, the 'screen' can gum up over time. A very good clean will usually clear it up, but sometimes not requiring a change of mask frontpiece.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had mask leak issues with every mask my doctor has prescribed since I began CPAP therapy in December 2017.  Maybe I'm subconsciously rebelling!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll check the settings on my machine to find if it has an auto-off feature.  Currently, I turn off the machine manually.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2018, 11:47 PM)DreamR Wrote: I've had mask leak issues with every mask my doctor has prescribed since I began CPAP therapy in December 2017.  Maybe I'm subconsciously rebelling!

My brother had no mask problems until after his stroke.  He has struggled with leaking ever since.  He can only use a full face mask so not many options.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELP: Sudden drastic worsening of Sleep Apnea - Can't sleep at all, CPAP completely u Unkikonki 10 464 10-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Help Needed: Friend Struggling with CPAP Compliance Due to Anxiety and Mask Removal Sarin 4 211 09-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Should Mask Removal Trigger Leak Alarm? Perchance2Dream 1 153 09-29-2024, 08:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Removing Mask In Sleep Unmasked101 14 587 09-17-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 689 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [CPAP] Taking mask off in sleep nevian 12 569 09-03-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Sleep study- Very high AHI with Central Sleep Apnea and multiple hours of CSR. Help. JoshO71 2 356 08-27-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: JoshO71

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.