Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP/APAP user looking for advice and OSCAR data interpretation
New CPAP/APAP user looking for advice and OSCAR data interpretation
Hello,

Newbie CPAP/APAP user here requesting some help in interpreting OSCAR data.

I am unfortunately still experiencing wakeups in the middle of the night that disrupt my sleep quality while on CPAP (and this was my original motivation for getting treated).

I wanted to see what folks' thoughts are on what's going on and what the possible next steps would be (on any front, like tuning the CPAP, mask choice, medication, other medical issue I could be overlooking, would a BiPAP or other device have been more appropriate, etc.). I have some ideas of what's going on but want to be sure I'm not overlooking anything.

The first two pictures show my breathing patterns immediately prior to a wakeup event. I picked these because they seem quite distinct: one shows shallow breathing with a substantial drop in tidal volume (~400 -> ~200 mL) over a period of ~30 s while the other shows persistent double peaked breaths. I also attached an additional picture as a reference/"good" sampling of my breathing.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

Additional items to consider:
-Mild apnea, home study with AHI marginally above 5. Have not gotten in-lab study - hoping that the CPAP data I have is sufficient to formulate thoughts/next steps.
-Concurrent nasal congestion and allergy problems (likely related to each other) - previously treated by ENT and currently being treated by allergist with immunotherapy, but progress is slow - one of my biggest fears is wasting months putting all my chips in this basket and overlooking something else. The congestion is almost exclusively inflammation,  little/no mucus, and usually features one nostril having near complete blockage.
-Recently put in inline BV filter that seemed to improve congestion but only after I get out of bed - still experience congestion while in bed
-Device = ResMed AirSense 11
-F40 mask but recently also using mouth tape on top of it due to switching to mouth breathing creating complications (such as, triggering wake ups, dry mouth, drooling and puffed up cheeks)
-Arrived at Humidity and Tube Temp both at Auto as best climate settings.
-Use EPR = 3 or 2; subjectively cannot tolerate EPR = 1 and thus seems pointless to try 0.
-Using tighter pressure ranges (smaller Max minus Min) seems to feel more comfortable, but going above 12 cmH2O or so makes leaks/seal challenging. I'm open to exploring higher, but I'm not confident it'll be effective at overcoming my congestion, unless that's not the only issue.
-Tried just about every antihistamine and corticosteroid under the sun: Allegra, Zyrtec, Astepro, Claritin, Nasalcrom, Nasocort, Flonase, Rhinocort - level of improvement is small and inconsistent

CPAP data also shows (can provide additional screenshots if needed):
-After extensively looking at many days worth of plots, I noticed I can get into a periodic breathing pattern when EPAP is less than 8 cmH2O, though the vast majority of it occurs at less than 7 cmH2O. None of it is "severe" - highest AHI was about 7-8, but have used this to now set a lower bound for EPAP (i.e. if EPR = 2, use min pressure = 9; if EPR = 3, use min pressure = 10).
-OSCAR flow limit data does not seem to be modulated by EPR setting, in conflict with subjective feeling. I suspect the reported flow limit data is not very reliable considering there are periods where my breathing pattern looks flow limited but the "flow limit" reports at or close to zero - the screenshots in this post perhaps demonstrate that.

Shallow breathing prior to wake up example.

Double-peaked breaths prior to wake up.

Reference.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP/APAP user looking for advice and OSCAR data interpretation
First macro, then micro.

Please post a whole night of Oscar charts laid out exactly according to Apneaboard protocol. See menu. Then someone who is experienced with settings can evaluate the whole. Also, it’s easier to see any interaction between mask leaks and pressure during the night: this is quite common. This layout can also highlight positional apnea.

Once those macro issues are attended to, the micro details may not require immediate attention, or they may disappear altogether. XPAP is always a work in progress, so finesse is always on the menu.

My experience is that it can take quite a while for your body to adjust to xPAP therapy. For instance, I went through a stuporous phase for at least 6 weeks. Even now, I can fritter away a night and feel exhausted the next day.

Keep in mind, too, that not everything about sleep is data. Sleep is an experience, and it’s very personal. We can data-fy it to the max, but that won’t cover the essence of sleep.

FWIW be sure your unit is set to pillows, if you’re using an F40.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the quick reply. Attached are the full night overviews of the two problematic events previously posted.

One observation though (could be right, could be wrong): the double-peaked breath triggered wake up had EPR = 2 and it's possible increasing EPR to 3 helped that. The nature of the other wakeup trigger I believe has been reproducible.

And yes, I do indeed have the machine set to Pillows.

Full night overview of double-peaked breath wake up trigger.

Full night overview of shallow breathing wake up trigger.

Post Reply Post Reply
Someone knowledgeable with settings would need to have a look at your charts. That's where to start before analyzing smaller segments.

You are doing well with leak control. Good job!
Post Reply Post Reply
Nothing stands out in your OSCAR charts IMO except some quick rises in pressure at times during the night.  0.00 95% flow limitations is excellent.  

You are probably onto something with your congestion.  This may be a cause.  It might have a positional aspect to it, but it seems like it is more due to your congestion.  

Here is some reading to do on positional apnea.   Read this and see if you think it might help improve your situation.   
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SleepHQ data for someone struggling with CPAP therhile 30 830 3 hours ago
Last Post: therhile
  Oscar Data Looks Fine, But Still Very Sleepy dvschwab 3 180 11 hours ago
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Bipap vs Cpap/Apap DreadPirateRawburts 10 183 Yesterday, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Help analyzing OSCAR data - CA's? alemon 26 1,023 Yesterday, 04:26 PM
Last Post: alemon
  [Pressure] Help me understand Oscar report and optimize CPAP therapy Oliverwoods 1 76 Yesterday, 03:07 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What generally are the first pressure settings for a new CPAP user ? Tenley 5 195 Yesterday, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Just discovered OSCAR, how does my data look? mtdang 8 369 Yesterday, 09:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.