Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
NEW FOAM AFTER TWO YEARS
Philips' contractor decided to eventually send me an old refurbished replacement device after all, without having to re-write or update my 10-year-old prescription (requiring a new doctor appointment, who also wanted a new sleep test) even though they insisted otherwise for many months.  (It only took 2 years.)  It's my guess that Philips is putting pressure on it's insurance contractor to speed up its conclusion.

Philips has entered a new final stage - wanting to urgently end its Recall as quickly as possible to avoid ongoing large payouts to their contracted insurance companies, costs associated with refurbishing faulty devices, ongoing negative press, consumer complaints, pressures from the FDA, etc. - and most importantly, selling new Dreamstation 2 xPAP devices again for profit rather than expence.  No doubt Philips has now gotten ahead with a built-up inventory of refurbished Dreamstation 1s, as a result of the many returned devices.  They happily can avoid sending out new Dreamstation 2s to all us deplorables with old (faulty) devices well outside of their 5 year warranties.

(This thread, initiated by SleepRider two years ago, seemed to be somewhat valuable to many, having achieved almost 300,000 views.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
REUTERS

Philips shareholders deal snub to board over 2022 turmoil

AMSTERDAM, May 9 (Reuters) - Philips (PHG.AS) shareholders on Tuesday voted against discharging the board of its responsibilities for 2022, a year in which the Dutch health technology company lost around 70% of its market value amid a worldwide recall of respiratory devices.

The Dutch Association of Shareholders VEB said its vote against was mainly a way to show its discontent with how former CEO Frans van Houten handled the fallout from the recall.

Philips shareholders deal snub to board over 2022 turmoil | Reuters
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: NEW FOAM AFTER TWO YEARS
(05-09-2023, 12:21 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Philips' contractor decided to eventually send me an old refurbished replacement device after all …

Would it be possible for you to try the refurbished machine initially WITHOUT installing the cellular modem? 

I'm trying to determine if anyone else can replicate my own experience, in which neither the humidifier nor the heated tubing worked until I inserted the modem one week after receiving the refurbished device. I have since removed the cellular modem and the humidifier and heated tubing continue to work properly. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DS1 MODEM REMOVAL & TESTING
(05-09-2023, 12:57 PM)Guilhermedico Wrote: << above >>

Regrettably, I'm currently not in a situation to help with that at the moment, due to so many reasons.  In a week or two, I can try to give it a go.  I have no plans anyway for regularly uploading sleep data to the Philips Cloud, so I'll happily be removing the modem.  

It may be better to post a new thread instead which would accomplish two things: get a much wider audience and classify it as a general support request, and it's not solely related to the Philips Recall.  There must be a huge number of replacement device owners that may no longer be monitoring this Recall thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2023, 04:20 AM)Guilhermedico Wrote: The Q&A question with a link, which explains how to "preserve" (i.e., NOT return) your original Philips Respironics (PR) DreamStation 1 (DS1), in case your original device is needed as part of a class action is this one: 

"What happens after I register my device, and what do I do with my old device?"

You may be correct about System One not being included in device preservation, because the link (https://www.mdl3014preservationregistry.com/) refers only to DS1 and Trilogy devices.

Although I am not an attorney, my reading of the fine print after you click this link is that PR was apparently served with two specific court orders allowing for preservation of original devices -- one for DS1 and one for Trilogy. 

Would PR require a separate court order to allow customers with a System One device to "preserve" their unit? 

IDK but one could understandably interpret in that way the lack of a specific court order governing System One preservation. You should contact the PR recall hotline and/or an attorney familiar with the class action to determine if this interpretation is correct.

Thanks for your feedback, Guilhermedico - 

Interesting to note, on the directions to do the return of the affected unit, the directions are specifically for returning a DS 1, and no mention of the System One. . .  I think I will wait and see if they contact me about the return of the System One . . .
Post Reply Post Reply
FAULTY DEVICE RETURNS
(05-10-2023, 08:43 PM)ruach Wrote: << above >>

Unless I'm mistaken, I haven't seen any evidence here, or elsewhere, of persistent pressure being placed on any replacement recipient to return their faulty Recalled device.  We're also in the midst of a closing out of the Philips' contractor services now and for the remainder of the year.  No doubt there are both per-item replacement contractor expenses but also ongoing support services (telephone, e-mail, database management, etc.) that are either fixed or per-contact, which Philips likely wants to discontinue in the weeks to come - putting all future Recall-related issues placed upon Philips directly.  Philips will definitely not want to get into these insignificant issues to the corporate office, and the Philips' contractors will eventually not want to continue to be so accommodating to Philips, if their payments for their infrastructure significantly decline or are eliminated.  

There's likely a significant build-up of returned units at the moment.  At some point, Philips won't need to replace the foam in those units due to oversupply, though there is the extended international market to consider.  But it may not be easy or cost-effective to repair units in the U.S. and ship those internationally.

Lastly, there's the ongoing class-actions which people can continue to use as an excuse to not return their faulty devices, whether or not those people actually register in any class-action databases.

Therefore, everyone is likely safe in not responding to Philips request to return their faulty devices, though I can certainly see why Philips would merely like to take them out of circulation.  Many have already de-foamed those devices and will have them as a backup, or a backup to their other backup (their Philips replacement, replaced by a non-Philips brand over the past 2 years).  Surprisingly, DS1s, and even older System Ones, still occasionally appear on consumer used marketplaces, without any mention of the Recall.

If Philips were smart, they'd be launching a DS3 at the end of the year or in early 2024, with new innovative features.  That would put a 5 year limit on supporting all other devices and make "old" devices more easily identifiable.  Otherwise, companies like ResMed have fully caught up with significantly increased demand for its systems, with Philips not participating in the retail market.  ResMed (and other players) are in a position to be extremely effective competitors now.  Philips is fooling itself if it thinks it can quickly return to owning 50% of the market for all new system purchases.  

If ResMed were smart, they wouldn't be too confident in continuing to produce the same sales volumes which it's now enjoying.  They should also be innovating and/or being more cost-effective to future buyers.  They're in a very strong position at the moment.  I'd secure my future by shifting to owning the new systems market, rather than being stuck to quarterly new systems profits.  If they act aggressively, they could shut out Philips completely from the consumer xPAP marketplace within 2-3 years.  Philips' board and stockowners would not let them continue to build xPAP systems if they couldn't sell them going forward profitably.  Although I'm upset at Philips for its corporate irresponsible behaviors over the past 2-10 years, largely due to a few bad executives within a culture of group-think, arrogance, total submission to their corporate hierarchy, and being merely focused on quarterly profitability, consumers would still benefit by more suppliers in the marketplace.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was shipped replacements and in a letter included in the box Philips politely asked me to return the old recalled units in the supplied boxes. They included a shipping label and tape to reseal the boxes. So I did. I owned two of the recalled models, got two replacements, so unless I wanted to be greedy and sell the two used units... ehh. Mine weren't spitting black chunks, but why risk selling someone something that way?

A couple weeks after I returned them I got final letters indicating their recall effort was "complete" and I should now consult with my doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
OLD RECALLED FAULTY DEVICES
<< above >>

It's a good point that, if one doesn't have any personal reasons to keep their Recalled device (either to defoam/replace-foam as a further backup, or as possible evidence to potential harmful effects), it's good to take it out of circulation by returning it for disposal by Philips.  If one returns it, there's some peace of mind in first taking apart their old device and putting the faulty-foam in a Ziploc for themselves.  There's certainly nothing to lose in doing that, and it's insightful to go through the process of disassembling their devices.  Also, perhaps take photos of your clinical menu screens for usage details, etc., if it's being returned.

It also makes me wonder how used (or new) DS1s sold on secondary markets would indicate that they've been refurbished - especially for traditional users who don't become more personally involved in the management of their xPAP devices.  Vehicles have manufacturer VIN histories to know if any recall-fixes have been applied.  Philips could provide an easy online ability to input a serial number and instantly know if the foam is faulty or updated.
Post Reply Post Reply
REUTERS

Tests clear recalled Philips sleep apnoea machines of health risks - company

AMSTERDAM, May 16 (Reuters) - Dutch medical devices maker Philips (PHG.AS) said on Tuesday that independent tests have shown that the use of its respiratory devices involved in a major global recall did not cause health risks for patients.

Philips said "rigorous testing" by external parties on the range of DreamStation machines used to treat sleep apnoea showed positive results, confirming preliminary results released last year.

"We are very pleased with these results, it is very important for patients to know that the use of the devices did not lead to a health risk", Philips Chief Executive Roy Jakobs told Reuters in a phone interview.

"It proves we have worked with a safe product, even though it might degrade."

Tests clear recalled Philips sleep apnoea machines of health risks - company | Reuters
Post Reply Post Reply
Wake up time,

You are of course correct about Philips easily providing info about these older machines.  I am reasonably certain they will not.  All they have done since the beginning of the recall is withhold, obfuscate, delay, and self serve.  I am one of the fortunate ones that could afford to just buy a new ReSmed device and ignore Philips.  I will not, however, excuse their immoral and amoral behavior.  Nor, will I forget what they have shown themselves to be.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink hwnboy therapy thread hwnboy 68 3,012 6 hours ago
Last Post: hwnboy
  Dang71 Therapy thread dang71 1 57 6 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 33 3,162 Yesterday, 12:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  SleepyCPAP’s Treatment Thread - Palatal Prolapse AlaxoStent SleepyCPAP 103 14,338 Yesterday, 11:14 AM
Last Post: fudo
  Jayhyouk Oh - Therapy Thread Jayhyouk Oh 18 844 Yesterday, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Tobiathan therapy thread tobiathan 36 1,639 10-21-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: tobiathan
  [Treatment] NightmaresOfTheBottom - Therapy Help Thread NightmaresOfTheBottom 12 446 10-20-2024, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.